2000AD Sci-Fi Special - All women creators for the first time in 40 years.

Wolverinesclaws

4-Stripe White Belt
2000AD recently announced it's going to be publishing a Sci-Fi Special which for the first time in its history will feature a creative line up consisting entirely of women, which has provoked some discussion amongst the comics community with some blowback against the idea of a women only special.

Creators that will feature are Tillie Walden, Alex de Campi, Katy Rex and Tula Lotay amongst others.

Artist PJ Holden recently posted an informative thread on Twitter about the internal mechanisms of 2000AD based on his experience.

The general jist of which being 2000AD is a machine, a machine that takes a lot to keep running and has tight deadlines due to its publication model which leave little room for people not familiar with how it works. Future Shocks are basically the only entry point for new creators because they are outside the usual deadlines and specials are similar in that effect.

So introducing new creators is a lengthy process and is also dependent on them not being poached by other publishers offering more work, as infamously happened to numerous people who worked for 2000AD back in the day.

Importantly 2000AD is open to pitches from anyone, so if you're a creator thinking that there should be more 'diversity' in the creators featured in 2000AD then you can pitch them an idea and you might end being one of those creators.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
You know I always feel a bit sad I don't know more about 2000AD. I think it's knowing where to jump on etc. Is this going to be a work(s) that anyone can read without knowing about the universe?

Wolverinesclaws

4-Stripe White Belt
You know I always feel a bit sad I don't know more about 2000AD. I think it's knowing where to jump on etc. Is this going to be a work(s) that anyone can read without knowing about the universe?
I think a lot of people just buy the trades for their favourite characters rather than buy the weekly progs, but they do have pretty regular 'jumping on' progs for new readers.

I suppose it depends what you like really, I think that's the reason 2000AD has survived for so long, there's so much variety to their characters.

They do a pretty good video series called 2000AD ABC on Youtube which starts with ABC Warriors and goes through pretty much every character/series that's featured in 2000AD.

I don't really see a problem with this. It's a special, an annual issue so basing it on an all female roster is a cool idea. Sure it can -and for some does- come across as a publicity stunt but it's not inherently bad.

From what I've read it's a special so all of the stories are self contained. Most of their big characters like Dredd, Strontium Dog etc don't require much to get you 'caught up' so you can dive in with ease.

Being an anthology book which can have 4/5 stories in various points in their plot it is difficult to really jump in but they tend to have jumping on issues at least 2/3 times a year. Unfortunately it is a popularity contest. Some series might not get enough tractions to warrant a trade being made but a lot of their recent stuff -Absalom, Lawless- have been on point.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really see a problem with this. It's a special, an annual issue so basing it on an all female roster is a cool idea. Sure it can -and for some does- come across as a publicity stunt but it's not inherently bad.

From what I've read it's a special so all of the stories are self contained. Most of their big characters like Dredd, Strontium Dog etc don't require much to get you 'caught up' so you can dive in with ease.

Being an anthology book which can have 4/5 stories in various points in their plot it is difficult to really jump in but they tend to have jumping on issues at least 2/3 times a year. Unfortunately it is a popularity contest. Some series might not get enough tractions to warrant a trade being made but a lot of their recent stuff -Absalom, Lawless- have been on point.
I'm happy they do so well, but damn does it look hard to fully appreciate. I'm the kind of guy that's reading Gundam from the start!

Wolverinesclaws

4-Stripe White Belt
I'm happy they do so well, but damn does it look hard to fully appreciate. I'm the kind of guy that's reading Gundam from the start!
Whilst some of the characters have been around for a long time you don't have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of them to read them and enjoy the stories, something you can't say for some other publishers.

You don't need to read the last 20 years worth of Judge Dredd to appreciate Day of Chaos for example, I haven't, in fact I think most agree that the very early days of Judge Dredd aren't particularly good.

I would say getting the complete Judge Dredd Case Files, which is up to volume 30, is for completists only.

The first time I ever read any ABC Warriors was in The Volgan War Volume 1 which came out in 2009. ABC Warriors first appeared in 1979.

A lot of the classic stuff is in well produced and affordable trades now too.

Kagekabuki

4-Stripe White Belt
@JamieMe The 2000AD Ultimate Collection TPB series is really, really good for grabbing the classic collected series cheap. Got Slaine: The Horned God for £1.99 in the first issue and The Ballad of Halo Jones for £6.99! The rest are £9.99. That's amazing for hardbacks.

It's quite far along now and they're available in newsagents/comics shops but you can get back issues here: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection

And I am ALL OVER this all-female anthology. As a female fan of 2000AD (I have been since I was a kid), this makes me so happy.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
And I am ALL OVER this all-female anthology. As a female fan of 2000AD (I have been since I was a kid), this makes me so happy.
I'll have to pick one up just to see. I think everyone should do that with stuff that's been around in the culture so long. That is great too. It's a great move by the team!

Wolverinesclaws

4-Stripe White Belt
I'll have to pick one up just to see. I think everyone should do that with stuff that's been around in the culture so long. That is great too. It's a great move by the team!
I was talking about this in my local shop recently and the things that's always struck me as a bit odd these collections is who are they actually aimed at?

Are people new to 2000AD ,for example, going to spend £££'s on getting this collection, because the completist mentality is a strong one, because people who are already fans will already have a lot of this stuff, so they're going to be paying for something they already have in a new edition that looks like the others.

They were telling me that lots of people start picking these things up but then, say 15-20 issues into it, they can't afford it anymore or they don't have the space, so they try to sell them back to the shop but he doesn't want them because he knows they won't sell.

This is the problem with these big collections, I was thinking of getting the Modesty Blaise books, but there's 30 of them so it becomes a case of 'do I have the space, time and money to accomodate that?'

Kagekabuki

4-Stripe White Belt
I was talking about this in my local shop recently and the things that's always struck me as a bit odd these collections is who are they actually aimed at?

Are people new to 2000AD ,for example, going to spend £££'s on getting this collection, because the completist mentality is a strong one, because people who are already fans will already have a lot of this stuff, so they're going to be paying for something they already have in a new edition that looks like the others.

They were telling me that lots of people start picking these things up but then, say 15-20 issues into it, they can't afford it anymore or they don't have the space, so they try to sell them back to the shop but he doesn't want them because he knows they won't sell.
Personally I see them as an opportunity to grab volumes I don't already have at a decent price. I don't have the space or money to get them all anyway :L They don't release the volumes by number (Slaine is number 36 in the series I think) - it's the oldest trick in the book to snag completionists, yet while it does annoy me seeing odd numbers on my bookshelf, I don't care enough to buy every single volume haha.