Advice on where to find work

Hi!

I'm very new to the world of creating comics professionally.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on where to look for or pick up work as a penciller, inker, flatter, or colourist please?

Besides this account and one on GutterZombie, I just don't really know where to begin.

Thank you!

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, a few ones I've hired from:

Deviant Art
Pencil Jack

Ones I've seen do well:

ZWOL (not sure if it survived the spam thing)
Twitter (takes time, buy with your art level you likely will do well).
Facebook Groups

Excellent!

Thanks again.
I'll make more of an effort on DA, Twitter, and FB then, and check out PencilJack and ZWOL.

Always handy to know some dedicated places as well as generic social sharing places.

I thought ZWOL was dead. That's interesting. Did they sort their spam issue?
Dude, no, they didn't fix the spam issue. Sometimes one admin deletes all spam threads, but they appear again and again. BUT, even with that, is the best option to get comic book work, at least for me. I'm practically live from the gigs that I get from Zwol, and I have enough time to my webcomic (and my webcomic produce $20 a month hehe).

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, no, they didn't fix the spam issue. Sometimes one admin deletes all spam threads, but they appear again and again. BUT, even with that, is the best option to get comic book work, at least for me. I'm practically live from the gigs that I get from Zwol, and I have enough time to my webcomic (and my webcomic produce $20 a month hehe).
Such a shame, when I was creating the boards ZWOL was obviously one I looked at, and it was rough seeing them have all that spam. I hope they can upgrade the boards somehow one day. The one we use here has anti-spam built in, and it checks a database to autoban regular offends from other sights. Really useful feature.

Such a shame, when I was creating the boards ZWOL was obviously one I looked at, and it was rough seeing them have all that spam. I hope they can upgrade the boards somehow one day. The one we use here has anti-spam built in, and it checks a database to autoban regular offends from other sights. Really useful feature.
I think the creator of Zwol Forum abandoned the forum for good, and the admin who deletes the spam doesn't have enough privileges or something like that. About Comicbook Hour forums, is not just the anti-spam feature, but the design is pretty cool. ZWOL design is awful, and Comicfury, my favorite webcomic forum (and I host my comic there), has a lot of info and useful threads, the community is pretty cool too, very supportive, but the design... man, the design is veeeery outdated.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
I think the creator of Zwol Forum abandoned the forum for good, and the admin who deletes the spam doesn't have enough privileges or something like that. About Comicbook Hour forums, is not just the anti-spam feature, but the design is pretty cool. ZWOL design is awful, and Comicfury, my favorite webcomic forum (and I host my comic there), has a lot of info and useful threads, the community is pretty cool too, very supportive, but the design... man, the design is veeeery outdated.
Geez, that really does suck about ZWOL. I found Bernard Gita, the guy I work with on Queen, on those boards. I think when it comes to design a lot of them are locked into the software version they went with, and as time goes on it gets scarier to upgrade out of fear of breaking the site. I was bricking it when I upgraded these boards, ha ha.