Advice to your past self

Discussion in 'Creative Discussion' started by Shaneoid, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Somehow you manage to time travel back through your own time line to the point where you meet yourself just starting out on your indie/webcomic journey. It was probably a while back and you find yourself wearing something you wouldn't be seen dead in now. But you have a moment in the past to give yourself some advice from your more learned future self on your comics.

What would that advice be?

DLF likes this.
  2. Shanny8

Shanny8 Blue Belt

Dont be intimidated by learning Photoshop & Illustrator- they are easier than you think. Dont be scared of using a graphics tablet...it really does make coloring & lettering faster(to me circa 2003, when I first got a Wacom tablet, and was supposed to have been trying to learning to color & letter digitally. I saw some colorists using a Wacom tablet when I attended SDCC in 1996, and I learned that was how digital coloring was done. I had a coloring comics digitally book from Antarctic Press- the guys did Ninja High School & Gold Digger, and my "Lettering Comics the Comicraft Way" from Comicraft. I felt overwhelmed & backed away from trying to learn- only to go on a hiatus some months later...a hiatus that lasted a decade).

I did eventually start tinkering with PS & Illustrator to a light degree in 2010, so once I started doing comics again in 2014, the hesitation to dive into doing coloring & lettering digitally wasnt there anymore.

Shaneoid and DLF like this.
  3. Anna Landin

Anna Landin Purple Belt

Don't... don't work so hard. Learn to relax. Take it easy. I know you don't have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-issues, and your future self doesn't have them either - but there are more ways to wreck your arm than just CTS. Your elbow is making clicking noises; put the pen down.

Also, don't be so scared to draw things you love. You've spent far too much time worrying about whether something is worth drawing or not, and whether or not it lives up to some imagined standard of Serious Work. Throw that out the window right the heck now; the best thing you ever did for yourself was deciding to draw whatever the heck made you happy, even when that was a sketchbook's worth of people in flowy robes, or, like, a muffin who was also a goat. Have fun. It's allowed.

Devika, Shaneoid and DLF like this.
  4. DLF

DLF Blue Belt

For the love of all that is holy, just start already. Don't push off til tomorrow what you can do today. Yes, you will eventually "get around" to it but why not start now?

Don't let backgrounds intimidate you. Work on them. Make them fun. Everything will look better if you do.

Devika and Shaneoid like this.
  5. AnitaComics

AnitaComics 4-Stripe White Belt

Believe in your project. It's not just for fun, people WILL like it...and they will like it more if you're confident.

Also, practice the style a bit before diving into the project itself, you lazy ass.

wishjacked likes this.
  6. SNOWDON

SNOWDON 4-Stripe White Belt

MAKE COMICS NOW.

You won't get any better at making comics until after you start making comics.

Do not wait until your "perfect idea" is finished. Do not try and make your first comic a huge opus, just start making comics now! Do a 3-5 page comic this month! Then do another next month! Don't worry if they're not perfect, just try and make them finished! Consider them practice! Learn as you go and use what you learn in your next comic. Experiment with ideas.

After you have a few short 3-5 page comics, try a 10 page comic. Then a 24 page one-shot. Just focus on one comic at a time and set reasonable goals.

Donathin Frye and Neonmeres like this.
  7. Neonmeres

Neonmeres White Belt

Believe in yourself and don't undervalue your stories. If you like them there is a good chance someone out there will too.
    Be patient with yourself because it can take years before an author gets good at making comics.
    Learn how to write a story before drawing it by studying writing fundamentals really hard.
    Read a lot of comics and study visual storytelling really hard.
    Be open to criticism and listen to advises from other webcomics authors.
    Work on one project at a time or you will feel overwhelmed by your projects.
    Start by doing small comics and gradually takes on longer ones with more complex stories.

8. Captain Ufo

Captain Ufo White Belt

Things in the online world change faster than you think. So start NOW!

It seems stupid but barely starting one year later than I originally planned to wait for a bit more free time caused me to skim a lot of "golden moments". I started just as the "algorithm-choosing-what-you-see-irregardless-of-your-subscriptions" craze started, and alone that made my capability to reach a wider audience way harder than what some colleagues had to deal with a handful of months earlier.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. Aron Mason

Aron Mason Blue Belt

I have had this conversation about if you could go back and talk to your younger self, my answer was if i get my hands on my ten year old me that kids in for one hell of a spanking.
    As for talking to comic book me... 1.get a better chair so your butt stays awake. 2. don't waste money on a website when their are a ton of places to show stuff for free and some will even pay you. 3. read about Vat moss that some bright spark in the EU decided to bring in and F up small businesses. 4. Stop eating snacks between drawing you unhealthy sod (this rule still applies but i never listen to myself anyhow)

10. Whirlwynd

Whirlwynd White Belt

My big ones would have been:
    a) Be more social
    b) Do not restart your comic from the beginning unless you have finished it

11. ChazWood

ChazWood 4-Stripe White Belt

Don't draw your first ever 88-page graphic novel entirely in pencil. Please.
    Don't skip all those cool scenes and flashbacks you scripted and thumbnailed but never drew...you'll only curse yourself for it 17 years later when you go through your archive and look upon the seeds of what may have been...
    Oh, and don't damage that cool T-shirt, bro. I wanna wear it when I become an art student for the second time around :)

12. shizamura

shizamura White Belt

that's incredibly good advice