Best single issue or volume comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by JamieMe, Aug 22, 2017.

1. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan comics that are contained in a single issue or volume, and I was wondering if people had any suggestions?

2. SpaceTurtleArt

SpaceTurtleArt Blue Belt

I really liked Marvel 1602.

Rob McMonigal likes this.
  3. JamieMe

What an unusual project. Looking it up now :D

4. AnitaComics

AnitaComics 4-Stripe White Belt

Check out "Perkeros", one of my all time favourites outside of the superhero stuff

5. JamieMe

The artwork looks fantastic from a quick search!

6. AnitaComics

AnitaComics 4-Stripe White Belt

I know, right? The story is also worth a tear or two

7. BlackMagicWolf

BlackMagicWolf 4-Stripe White Belt

I'm writing a graphic novel that is just that. Does that count? lol

8. JamieMe

:D you'll have to post about it when it is done eh.

9. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

I really enjoyed Crossed, it's since had off-shoot stories that are also just a story in a single volume, but the main story is self-contained in one volume and is not connected to those. Though it's pretty graphic and certainly not for everyone.

Donathin Frye likes this.
  10. BlackMagicWolf

11. BlackMagicWolf

I'll definitely take your opinion! lol. And you're not the first to say that. I like having my preview at the top so that people are introduced to the story right off. But, a few friends of mine said I might try and space it out more.

Did you like the Kickstarter though? Outside of that issue?

12. Rob McMonigal

Rob McMonigal White Belt

Rich Koslowski has three great ones: BB Wolf and the 3 LPs, 3 Fingers, and The King.

If the name rings a bell, it's because he inked a lot of Archie before they went into turning their characters into whatever the latest fad is.

13. JamieMe

:D tell us how you really feel? Ha ha.

Will look these up too.

14. alin_rautoiu

alin_rautoiu 4-Stripe White Belt

That's a really broad question.

15. JamieMe

Yielding great results, so I'm not complaining :D

16. Donathin Frye

Donathin Frye Purple Belt

Here's a few sitting on my shelf that I think are tops in the self-contained genre from what I've read (outside of the usuals, like The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, etc).

The Spire (fantasy/sci-fi). It's an entirely unique fantasy world, with unique magic, races, rules, wrapped up in a classic noir-style murder mystery. Chinatown meets Saga.

Rat God (horror). It's a mash-up of Native American mythology, period mystery, and Lovecraftian/cosmic horror. It's brilliant on another level, a mad brainchild of Richard Corben.

Spider-Man: Reign (hero/horror). 'Cause why should Batman get all of the dystopic fun? Seriously though, Reign is a must-read, self-contained mini-series for Spider-Man fans, doing what it can to subvert your expectations of many characters in the fascist New York City of the horrific future.

Conan: The Blood-Stained Crown and Other Stories (dark fantasy). It's an anthology of brilliant one-shot stories by some of the best Eisner-winning writers/artists of the past 20 years, all self-contained, all featuring Conan in one way or another. The great thing about Dark Horse's Conan is that, if you dig this book at all, there's a mountain of similar self-contained books. The through-line in Conan's story is pretty light -- each tale is largely self-contained, because that's how Howard wrote it as pulp back in the day. But get this book for Eric Powell's Storyteller, a beautiful tribute to Robert E. Howard's life, and Bruce Timm's Conan's Favorite Joke, maybe the greatest four page comic of all time.

17. JamieMe

No idea why but v interested in Spider-Man. I do like the character, but I'm often not compelled to start anything in the universe because I simply don't know where to look. The Spire is a given. Been on my list forever, oddly.

18. Kevin Pass

Kevin Pass 4-Stripe White Belt

Some I'd recommend.
    Godzilla: Half Century War (IDW)
    High Crimes (Dark Horse)
    Severed (Image)
    The New Deadwardians (Vertigo)
    Snow Blind (Boom)
    Apocalyptigirl (Dark Horse)
    Green River Killer (Dark Horse)
    Deadbeats (Self Made Hero)
    Starlight (Image)
    The Last West (Alterna Comics) - This is a 2 volume comic but is a complete story.

19. JamieMe

I've read Spider-Man: Reign issue #1, and as a non-Marvel fan I found it surprisingly enjoyable.

Donathin Frye likes this.
  20. JamieMe

Issue #1 was very good I thought. I need the rest. Will check the rest!