Building my Indie Comic: Remnant Tribes

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by maurojflores, Feb 26, 2017.

1. maurojflores

maurojflores 4-Stripe White Belt

These are a couple of experimental sketches I did when I was trying to decide on a final look for the Feles race. I wanted to understand their anatomy, and try out some ways to make their manes look like hair styles.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty much done with the concept art and development sketches, at least for a first chapter. With the website development pretty far along, I'm finally starting to sketch out the pages, so next update will surely be some page WIPs.

I've also fine tuned the "Under Construction" page of the website. I've set up a newsletter where I'll be sending occasional updates before AND after launch, and all subscribers will be rewarded with a free PDF download on launch day. You're all warmly invited to remnanttribes.com!

[​IMG]

2. maurojflores

Finally cracking down some comic pages! It's taken forever to have enough of the setup and development done to get to the point where I can focus on the actual comic. So this is where the fun stuff actually begins. I'll be sharing some more successive progress shots to share the process with you, but I'm excited to show you the first stone is laid.

[​IMG]

Donathin Frye and JamieMe like this.
  3. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

One of THE best threads on the forum. Fantastic work, and I always look forward to seeing the post update.

maurojflores likes this.
  4. Trinket Trance

Trinket Trance 4-Stripe White Belt

This is really cool to see develop. I really like your art style.

maurojflores likes this.
  5. maurojflores

Really appreciate it, guys, thanks!

6. maurojflores

It's been close to a month since the last update and I've been hard at work. I've got page one completely finished and a few others in progress. So, I made a little process breakdown of the art for one of the panels in page 1. It's always particularly challenging to draw characters in an environment, as was in this case. It's 5 steps: composition, sketch, lines, flats, and lights/shadows/textures. Yeah that last one is about 4 steps in one XD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm quite satisfied by the end result, and hopefully I can improve on the quality with time. That is really my biggest purpose of putting so much energy into this project, to improve.
    I also see I'll have to figure out what to do regarding the update schedule, because this takes an awful lot of time, and somehow a page a week doesn't seem feasible. I'm thinking of doing something like monthly batches of 3-5 pages. We'll see.

So, thanks for checking out, and your feedback is always welcome!

Donathin Frye likes this.
  7. Donathin Frye

Donathin Frye Purple Belt

The progress looks amazing, as always! One thing a lot of creators will do is finish half of a chapter's (or so) pages before they start publishing to build up a buffer, then release one page per week. If they need to take a hiatus between issues/chapters to build up their buffer again, they just announce a hiatus in-between! It's a little easier to keep the momentum going and maintain publishing schedule that way.

maurojflores likes this.
  8. maurojflores

Thanks,@Donathin Frye ! I did have something like that planned, though I'm still weighing the options. I really want to launch this year, though my buffer might not be as far along if I do. Specially since I plan to post a 5 page prologue right from the start so readers have a better sense of how the story kicks off. Maybe from there I'd start updating a page at a time. I've seen a few creators who post bigger bulks at a time with less frequency, but I've always wondered how they fare keeping followers engaged. I'll have to see how much I can get done in the following months to really make up my mind. Thanks for the advice!

9. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

Just looked through quickly and I definitely am impressed by the improvement in your art style from where it began on the first page to now. Definitely interested in seeing what comes of your work.

maurojflores likes this.
  10. maurojflores

Thanks, Steven!

11. maurojflores

What's up Comicbook Hour!
    I haven't been able to work as much as I'd like during recent weeks, but still got a little bit of art done. Hopefully I don't have to push back launch day as much. One of the major things I managed to finish during this time was the cover! It's been sketched out roughly for some time, but I finally put in the time to finish it. And the many hours it took is part of the reason why not much else was done, but all the same, any progress at all is better than nothing. Hope you like!

[​IMG]