• #ComicBookHour returns this Sunday on Twitter at 6pm UK (10am PT) for a PROMOTING COMICS Q&A.

Building my Indie Comic: Remnant Tribes

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
These are a couple of experimental sketches I did when I was trying to decide on a final look for the Feles race. I wanted to understand their anatomy, and try out some ways to make their manes look like hair styles.

I'm pretty much done with the concept art and development sketches, at least for a first chapter. With the website development pretty far along, I'm finally starting to sketch out the pages, so next update will surely be some page WIPs.

I've also fine tuned the "Under Construction" page of the website. I've set up a newsletter where I'll be sending occasional updates before AND after launch, and all subscribers will be rewarded with a free PDF download on launch day. You're all warmly invited to remnanttribes.com!

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
Finally cracking down some comic pages! It's taken forever to have enough of the setup and development done to get to the point where I can focus on the actual comic. So this is where the fun stuff actually begins. I'll be sharing some more successive progress shots to share the process with you, but I'm excited to show you the first stone is laid.

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
It's been close to a month since the last update and I've been hard at work. I've got page one completely finished and a few others in progress. So, I made a little process breakdown of the art for one of the panels in page 1. It's always particularly challenging to draw characters in an environment, as was in this case. It's 5 steps: composition, sketch, lines, flats, and lights/shadows/textures. Yeah that last one is about 4 steps in one XD.

I'm quite satisfied by the end result, and hopefully I can improve on the quality with time. That is really my biggest purpose of putting so much energy into this project, to improve.
I also see I'll have to figure out what to do regarding the update schedule, because this takes an awful lot of time, and somehow a page a week doesn't seem feasible. I'm thinking of doing something like monthly batches of 3-5 pages. We'll see.

So, thanks for checking out, and your feedback is always welcome!

The progress looks amazing, as always! One thing a lot of creators will do is finish half of a chapter's (or so) pages before they start publishing to build up a buffer, then release one page per week. If they need to take a hiatus between issues/chapters to build up their buffer again, they just announce a hiatus in-between! It's a little easier to keep the momentum going and maintain publishing schedule that way.

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
The progress looks amazing, as always! One thing a lot of creators will do is finish half of a chapter's (or so) pages before they start publishing to build up a buffer, then release one page per week. If they need to take a hiatus between issues/chapters to build up their buffer again, they just announce a hiatus in-between! It's a little easier to keep the momentum going and maintain publishing schedule that way.
Thanks,@Donathin Frye ! I did have something like that planned, though I'm still weighing the options. I really want to launch this year, though my buffer might not be as far along if I do. Specially since I plan to post a 5 page prologue right from the start so readers have a better sense of how the story kicks off. Maybe from there I'd start updating a page at a time. I've seen a few creators who post bigger bulks at a time with less frequency, but I've always wondered how they fare keeping followers engaged. I'll have to see how much I can get done in the following months to really make up my mind. Thanks for the advice!

Just looked through quickly and I definitely am impressed by the improvement in your art style from where it began on the first page to now. Definitely interested in seeing what comes of your work.

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
What's up Comicbook Hour!
I haven't been able to work as much as I'd like during recent weeks, but still got a little bit of art done. Hopefully I don't have to push back launch day as much. One of the major things I managed to finish during this time was the cover! It's been sketched out roughly for some time, but I finally put in the time to finish it. And the many hours it took is part of the reason why not much else was done, but all the same, any progress at all is better than nothing. Hope you like!

maurojflores

4-Stripe White Belt
Hey ComicBookHour, Happy New Year!

* Side note: @JamieMe I see the forum categories have changed since I started this thread, so feel free to move this to the Hype section since I'm doing mostly self-promo and WIPs here.

So, I wasn't able to get enough done to launch before the end of 2017, like I was hoping. Technically, I could launch in a matter of days, because the website is basically ready and I have a few pages done, but I need to finish more in order to have a decent time buffer. I've also detailed the script for about 22 pages, and drafted a rough outline for a bunch more. The website will also feature a map, character gallery, background history of the story, and a blog, right from day 1 and these too will be updated periodically along with the comic. So, I'll be working for a few more months and set a new goal of launching in (or around) April 2018, with a 5-page prologue which is already about 90% done. As a bonus, those who subscribe to the newsletter will get a free PDF with a bunch of behind the scenes stuff, and higher res images of the prologue.

In the meantime, here's a few images (from said prologue) that I hadn't shared her on CBH.

From a panel on page 3

Panel line art, page 2

Final panel, page 2

Step by step process, panel on page 4