Comic book competitions

Luke

White Belt
Hey everyone,

So I've had a google and I've not had much luck finding any comic book competitions going on? Competitions in the vein of Sundance festival, or the Jamesons First shot competition, for films etc...
Whats out there?

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if many see anthologies as like festivals? There was #OpenComics by The Guardian, but that fell apart I believe, or is facing issues.

Luke

White Belt
I wonder if many see anthologies as like festivals? There was #OpenComics by The Guardian, but that fell apart I believe, or is facing issues.
Anthologies are my current source right now...

There's obviously Ever Afterward and the Colossal Choas going on right now...

Just trying to see what else is out there.... plus pulling together teams; its damn expensive

Luke

White Belt
Also.... what about having a roller banner for current anthologies etc outside of all the forums? Like 'news headlines' and such...?

Hmmm. Comics are a more static medium than film or animation. I'm not super surprised there aren't competitions. There are plenty of comic awards, like there are awards for good books, but how would you even do a competition? The closest thing I can think of would be a challenge to do a comic in a limited time, and there are a few of those around.

ShaneWSmith

4-Stripe White Belt
I think that - for most regions - the nearest thing you'll find to a comics competition is the award season, which includes events like the Harveys, Eisners, and other (usually region-specific) literary-type or genre-specific awards.