#ComicBookHour Monetization Special

Discussion in 'Updates' started by JamieMe, Jul 16, 2017.

1. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

What's happening #ComicBookHour?

Welcome to the official thread for this week's MONETIZATION special. We are now going to end every Q&A with a link to a thread that will be posted during the day, so if you are reading this before feel free to post whatever you like. You might have some pre-Q&A thoughts on the theme, and that is fine! Shoot!

This week's sponsor:

[​IMG]

If you are interested in entering their competition. Just click this link here.

Quick fire thread starter:

What is your favourite way to sell your comics, and why?

2. Brandon Peyton

Brandon Peyton White Belt

Digitally, because it's the only way I can afford at the moment, lol.

3. JamieMe

Smart business then! Where do you like selling them digitally?

4. JamieMe

Awesome Q&A. I think the BIG news is that LINE Webtoon might be starting up ads?

5. SNOWDON

SNOWDON 4-Stripe White Belt

I mentioned this in the Twitter event, but I really do think it's a topic worthy of more discussion: Why aren't comic sites doing more to cross promote the comics they host?

I mean getting readers to check out other comics on the same site. If you go to Tapastic and you read my comic, why don't you see banners promoting similar comics. "Oh, hey, that looks like the sort of comic I'd read! Maybe I'll go check it out!"

SmackJeeves kinda does this, but not very well. There's a "Similar Comics" box hidden well below everything else on a comic's profile page. I've been reading comics there for months and never noticed it until I went looking for it. When I did find it, I discovered that apparently Smackjeeves thinks Pokemon fan fiction and whimsical fantasy adventures are both similar to R-rated sci-fi/horror.

Hiveworks has a banner you can click to check out other Hiveworks comics, but it's completely random. Tapastic doesn't have anything at all. Nada. Nothing.

I really believe that these sites should be doing more, both to get readers to the site and once readers are on the site, get them reading as many comics there as possible. They can do this by actively promoting some of the best comics on the site, then getting people from those comics to others through cross promoting similar comics.

The more comics people are reading on the site, the more ad revenue the host brings in and the more likely your comic will get seen by someone who likes the kind of comic you're making!