#ComicBookHour Q&A Episode 2 "PROMOTING COMICS" (2018)

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member

Welcome to episode 2 of the NEW 52 drive from #ComicBookHour. Just answer the questions below, and build your CBH rank up. You'll get exclusive perks the higher your message count is on the boards!

Q1: What hashtags do you use to promote comics on Twitter, and how many should you use per tweet?

Q2: Have you observed a time of day that is best for promoting comics on Twitter, and if so when is it?

Q3: What are some bad practices when promoting comics on Twitter?

Q4: What is your WORST Twitter blunder?

Q5: What have you found most rewarding about using Twitter for promoting comics?

Get your CBH rank up by answering questions from previous weeks:

EPISODE #1 LINK

AnitaComics

4-Stripe White Belt
Since I can't make to the Twitter event ever, I'll go first on the forum here:

Q1: I use various, the most effective being #makingcomics. #comicbookhour comes second. I use three or four at most, I prefer to write something about what I'm posting rather than just putting a link there with a bunch of hashtags

Q2: I tried posting at a set time, but I cannot make it work. Might be because I'm in Europe and a larger number of user is from North America (at least the ones I'm trying to reach, considering the comic I make. Not the best for European taste), but mostly because I feel less comfortable. I enjoy tweeting randomly when I feel like it.

Q3: First and most common, spamming your links without giving anything personal around them. I mean, your potential readers need to know where to find your stuff, but it cannot be the only thing they see you tweet. It comes with just the habit of using twitter
Second, DMing people as soon as they add you with links and stuff. I suppose it's an automatic thing. I unfollow immediately
Third, sharing your instagram posts. It results in a link to another post, and it's less appealing

Q4: I sometimes get involved in controversial conversation...because I can't fit my thoughts in a tweet, and people misunderstand my intervention. Ooops.

Q5: I found a community! It took a few months, but now there's actual people actually reading & recommending the comic I make, retweeting my stuff and all. It's all about the support, and it's precious

This is a great list of questions and I've found everyone's responses extremely helpful! I am new to promoting anything on Twitter and the etiquette of doing it properly. Even just knowing the list of hashtags to use is going to be very beneficial. Reading through everyone's answers it seems like there are better times to post than others but I do like the idea of organically posting instead of a regimented schedule of posts.

Maybe the compromise is to organically tweet around the time of day that gets the most views?

To answer Q4 though, probably in my own head but every time I reply to a tweet of someone I respect and send it - I get this anxious feeling that there's a 50/50 shot they will either like it or hate me forever.

I can actually answer these because I help people with social media.

Q1: What hashtags do you use to promote comics on Twitter, and how many should you use per tweet?
Since we don't have the comic yet, we are working on character sketches I usually use #art #artist #sketch #blackart #comic. If it's about writing I do #writing #blackwriter #comicbookwriter. I use at most 5.

Q2: Have you observed a time of day that is best for promoting comics on Twitter, and if so when is it? When there's a show based on a comic on TV.

Q3: What are some bad practices when promoting comics on Twitter? Just trying to sell.

Q4: What is your WORST Twitter blunder? Using an app to recycle my post over and over including a post with my website that was down.

Q5: What have you found most rewarding about using Twitter for promoting comics? Twitter talks are very engaging.