• #ComicBookHour returns this Sunday on Twitter at 6pm UK (10am PT) for a PROMOTING COMICS Q&A.

Comicraft New Years Sale - What Are You Getting?

I personally use Samaritan, uppercase and lowercase international versions. What struck me about it was how easy it was to read and it was really clean looking. I waited and got it half off when SDCC was happening, a sale that happens every year! If I had money to get another font it'd be Wild Words, you see it EVERYWHERE. Biff Bam Boom was also on my list to get, but I found good alternatives, Fight to the Finish and Bada Boom, from Blambot for less.

@lizkreates The equivalent of Biff Bam Boom on Blambot is Palooka- which is free. BadaBoom is a VERY versatile font- I still use it.

I am a FONT JUNKIE. I've been buying from Comicraft since when they first started- back in 1999. I finally picked up the Jim Lee font last year- one that I had been wanting since I first started buying from Comicraft, but ended up slotting other dialogue fonts ahead of it. I use WildWords on my Clique comic series and Meanwhile on Ray Thunder.

I've been skipping over Hush Hush, and just when I thought I'd finally get it this year- I then see Mild Mannered. I may end up getting both of them- still trying to decide. There's also the "pirate fonts"- Pass the Port, Dead Man's Chest, and Treasure Trove, but I'm trying to decide am I gonna do anything "pirate-related". Also looking at Resistance is Lowered and Incy Wincy Spider.

I usually try to keep my expenditures between $60-$100. I usually try to get one word balloon/dialogue font, a couple of special/sound FX fonts, and a couple of 'display lettering' style fonts- and once I'm done, I try not grab anymore fonts until the next year(unless it's Blambot fonts, which are cheaper).

Nice thread. I personally use WildWords and Badaboom. I liked the Samaritan, it looks interesting. The Jim Lee one i also have it but don’t use it much.

I have a wierd lettering style, i like the main character to have one font and everyone else another :p

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Nice thread. I personally use WildWords and Badaboom. I liked the Samaritan, it looks interesting. The Jim Lee one i also have it but don’t use it much.

I have a wierd lettering style, i like the main character to have one font and everyone else another :p
It can work! Lettering can be very creative. Looking up all these fonts. I think I want A Likely Story for fun projects.

This was my first time getting fonts from Comicraft and I only went for three this sale:

I really like what Simon Bowland has been doing with sentence-case lettering for Warren Ellis's current run on *The Wild Storm* so I bought Samaritan Lower for a similar feel.

Dave Gibbons' font should be perfect for some non-fiction story/ illustrated criticism ideas that I've been tossing around. Most of the readers I expect for these projects have only a passing familiarity with comics and if they have any prior experience it's probably going to be *Watchmen*. Hopefully the similar lettering can trigger some sort of a cozy and comfortable feeling.

And, finally, I grabbed Comicrazy because I like the early-Image feel of the font and I'm a sucker for impulse purchases and a good bargain.

I picked up Monstrosity, Mild Mannered, Evil Doings, Resistance is Lowered, and the new one- Prince of Darkness.

2018 CC fonts.jpg

Once again I held off getting Hush Hush & Incy Wincy- I might pick Incy Wincy up during their half price sale later this year.

I picked up Hedge Backwards and Brian Bolland for standard dialogue and Battle Cry and Battle Scarred for sfx.

typediff.jpg
Gave them a go on a Samaritan page. Have to say Bolland reads a lot clearer even from a distance and think I might use that the most. Hedge backwards does appear more squashed and I had to reduce the font size for it to fit the same but still looks good.

Went ahead & picked up Hush Hush International at the 11th hour- now I can scratch that off my list and not worry about it anymore.

Like I said I can always get Incy-Wincy when they have their half-off sale later this year(around late March-April).