First-Ever PICK OF THE WEEK

Discussion in 'Pick of the Week' started by JamieMe, Mar 29, 2017.

1. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

What's happening #ComicBookHour Universe?

Jamie Me here with the FIRST-EVER "Pick of the Week" selected during the previous Twitter event. I personally looked over the hashtag, and it was a really tough call to make. The entire community is stacked with INCREDIBLE talent, so our POTW is more about who stood out on the day.

With that said, here is our choice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, why did we choose DRUGS & WIRES as our first PICK OF THE WEEK?

The comic immediately demanded attention, and the 90s vibes to someone who grew up during the "Attitude Era" was a solid sell. Throw in the awesome artwork and you have yourself a great choice for pick of the week.

So, please check out DRUGS & WIRES here, and let us know what you think in the comment section. You can read the webcomic RIGHT NOW, and we are wanting to treat this as a weekly book club, so it would be fantastic if you check it out, support the creators and post below.

Honourable mention goes to: Frostblight Saga

DRUGS & WIRES is created by Cryoclaire & Io Black. All images are owned by the creators and used for review purposes.

Attached Files:

Bob, Mischy, Jackarais and 13 others like this.
  2. MartaRatonPersona

MartaRatonPersona White Belt

Interesting comic, indeed!

3. Neonmeres

Neonmeres White Belt

Loving the idea that they have positive thoughs pills in this comic's world. We definitively need those in reality. It's a cool comic!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. Neonmeres

Neonmeres White Belt

I also checked Frostblight Saga! Really impressed by the visual story telling! Great job to the artist Michael Doig and India Swift.

michaeldoigart likes this.
  5. Anna Landin

Anna Landin Blue Belt

Drugs & Wires is so goooood! I love the way it evokes that very 90s feel while still being kinda parallell-future-dystopic and gosh, the visuals are so good? the writing is so great? And I simultaneously want to hug Dan and punch him in the face?

Also dang, Frostblight Saga is gorgeous

Screaming Rat likes this.
  6. midlandiania

midlandiania 4-Stripe White Belt

90s vibes you say...? I shall have to check this out...

As for Frostblight Saga, I had a good look at that on the day and I will (as promised to one of its creators) be tweeting about that, and I'll do that on Sunday.
    (I really liked it a lot, and I will articulate why on Sunday, on Twitter)

michaeldoigart likes this.
  7. DataBunny

DataBunny 4-Stripe White Belt

OOh, what a gorgeous art style! Definitely going to be checking this out!

8. Orbispelagium

Orbispelagium 4-Stripe White Belt

Nice! I get a good Transmetropolitan vibe from this, and the 90s flavor bleeds through in all sorts of fun ways.

9. R:ILPERSONA

R:ILPERSONA 4-Stripe White Belt

well deserved, one of my favorite comics out right now. Lin and Dan are just great characters and claire/Io are one hell of a team

10. SNOWDON

SNOWDON White Belt

Good choice. That's one of the comics I saw last week that really drew me in. Lost a couple of hours to it when I really only planned on checking out the first few pages. Great art, characters and setting.

11. Cleo-San

Cleo-San 4-Stripe White Belt

It is not the story I usually prefer to read, but I can totally understand why it's a POTW ;)

12. Jackarais

Jackarais White Belt

This is definitely one of my favourite webcomics right now. Great worldbuilding and the main character is a piece of shit I want to smack in the face. Can't get any better than that.
    I always reccommend this to my pals, so anybody lurking this thread--go give it a read!

13. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

I'm hoping we can get people talking about the weekly pick, and turn the event into a SUPER book club. That was the aim, but I couldn't really explain that until we had week one ready to go ha ha. Hopefully the process will make more sense now!

Jackarais likes this.
  14. ShaneV

ShaneV 4-Stripe White Belt

Congratulations to the pick of week. Gonna go check it out now, because I grew up in the 90's and love nostalgia.

15. Symphorians

Symphorians White Belt

Ah, the 90s.... :) I second the world-building aspect of Drugs and Wires noted by Jackarais, and the 90s feel is done so well with so many little details thrown in here and there. Great storytelling. Frostblight Saga is also amazing. I especially love the way the color schemes transition between scenes. Congratulations to the creators!

Jackarais and michaeldoigart like this.
  16. michaeldoigart

michaeldoigart White Belt

Very cool, I hadn't seen this comic during the event itself, I'll check it out! Thank you very much for the honorable mention for Frostblight Saga - I'm humbled - there are so many fantastic comic creators gathering here. Thanks for the support and encouragement!

@Neonmeres Thanks so much!
    @Anna Landin Thank you :O
    @midlandiania Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the comic, thank you for taking the time :)
    @Symphorians Thank you, glad you liked the scene transitions we have.

17. ShaneV

ShaneV 4-Stripe White Belt

I was worried that comic was gonna glorify drug culture. But then I got to the part about the percocet and opioids and was very pleased that it was considered garbage.

Cryo and Jackarais like this.
  18. NiinaEveliina

NiinaEveliina White Belt

Looks great! I have been planning to check this out for a long time now. I guess it's about time to give it a shot!

Cryo and Agent Jay like this.
  19. Cryo

Cryo White Belt

Thanks for picking us and all the lovely feedback, everyone :) We've just wrapped up chapter 3 and went on a break so now is definitely a good time to catch up!

Bob, Jackarais, Screaming Rat and 2 others like this.
  20. Screaming Rat

Screaming Rat White Belt

Yes! Drugs and Wires is a personal fav of mine. Gorgeous, great great great work.

Cryo likes this.