Global Comix - Another Hosting Platform

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by Trinket Trance, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns and so quickly as well, definitely interested in the platform. Especially with the functionality that you've added in for moving from panel-to-panel. One question I have about that though is if you can only jump to the panel, or if you can section off parts of the panel that it should jump to when being viewed in mobile?

2. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

Then again I guess that depends on how it works, if you're defining your own panels on the page I suppose you could that and I may have answered my own question.

3. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

This ;)

That said, we don't have a "mobile only" panel option ATM. Not sure if that's strictly needed either, time will tell I think.

4. Polyak Attila

Polyak Attila 4-Stripe White Belt

That's really good to know, as a matter of fact, some sort of mini tutorial or a description would be great. I did notice that you can move the corner points, but I would not have guessed, that you can add new ones by clicking an edge.

As for the frames. They are great. The end results are wonderful. Here's an example of what I managed to do with some work. There is one big problem, however. It takes a lot of time to set frames up. This is especially true if you have some wonky shape that you need to manually make a silhouette for. While I'm not 100% sure if this process is well... as simple as it can possibly be, but I am certain that a few extra features would make it more user-friendly and quick. I, in particular, missed two things: an option to copy frames and an option to lock onto the one you're currently editing. When I was creating several frames in the same area I very often clicked from one to another instead of clicking the edge of the current frame. At one point I couldn't even edit the frame I wanted to because when I tried to click the edge of the frame it simply selected another frame (the two frames were overlapping).[/user]

5. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

FYI, I've now changed the name of that profile type to "Creator":

upload_2017-8-22_17-48-38.png

Steven Potts likes this.
  6. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

Thank you for changing that. Now that I've got a chance to try it out I really do like the frames feature, what might take some adjusting to is the way the releases work beyond that. It seems like it's designed for releasing a whole chapter all at once rather than one page at a time. You can do each release as a single page, which is what I've been trying out right now, but my issue with that is the required chapter description. Since each release isn't a chapter, but a separate page that's a bit of an annoyance. Though from what I've read it says you're going to be adding the ability to edit the releases so that would mean being able to add pages to the release later so that you don't have to release all the pages at once. The issue I have with that is that I can no longer give each page its own title.

7. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

Yay! Glad to hear!

Ah -- no problem. I'll make the description field optional for single page releases.

That also removes the ability to get your fans alerted (onsite and via email) when new releases are out. I'll let me fix the description part for you instead :)

PS: We're also making a change to make single page releases read more smoothly from release to release -- ETA today or tomorrow I think!

Let me know how else I can help :)

- Chris

8. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

@Steven Potts FYI description is now not required for single-page releases :)

Also -- as a heads up, you can add more "points" to each frame (and drag points around) by clicking on the side-line of each frame where you want to add points. This lets you have irregular shaped panels :)

9. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

Do you have to delete the release and then re-add it in order for that to work? Because I tried deleting my Chapter Synopsis and it gives me the required message.

The removing the description part is great, but my other issue is that it's still calling each single release a chapter. Which makes me wonder if it's going to stay like that if it shouldn't be changed so that when you update a release, it alerts the fans, since that would essentially be adding a new page to a chapter.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

Oops. I'll push a fix shortly, sorry about that! Strips will also not be called chapters in the near future :)

Steven Potts likes this.
  11. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

Fixed - description not required for single page releases.

Steven Potts likes this.
  12. Steven Potts

Steven Potts White Belt

It did let me save it with it empty, but it didn't overwrite the existing description from where I had to have one to the new empty one. Thank you for fixing that though, really appreciate you answering concerns and questions so promptly.

13. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

Ah -- it was just cached. Cache has been busted :)

14. Nimloth

Nimloth White Belt

@Steven Potts

This has now been done. We've disabled the "interstitial" between releases when current release and next release both contain 1 page each.