Grants and Residencies

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by Donathin Frye, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Donathin Frye

Donathin Frye Purple Belt

This is something that I talk about a lot as an often over-looked avenue for writers and artists. I'd like to collect a list of running grants/residencies and their current status here. I'm just getting my grant research work rolling for the year, but anything I list here is available to (at the very least) anyone in the United States unless I state otherwise. If anyone else runs into an opportunity (anywhere in the world, too!), please post it below so that I can update the thread.

Astrea (Lesbian Foundation for Justice) [contact for deadline]

The Awesome Foundation [rolling micro-grants]

Boston Public Library Writer-in-Residence Program [deadline: 4/14/17]

Brooklyn Arts Council [very high acceptance rate, must live in Brooklyn]

Creators for Creators [closed, submissions open in Spring 2017?]

The Harpo Foundation [grants and Native residencies]

National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures [submissions open in Spring 2017]

Native Arts and Cultures Foundation [submissions TBA]

New York Foundation for the Arts [massive grant allocation, New York residents only]

PNC Arts Alive [rolling submissions, currently supporting Central Ohio, Eastern Florida, Greater St. Louis, Philadelphia, and Southern New Jersey]

Prism Comics Queer Press Grant [closed until 2018]

Scholastic Graphix Contest [deadline: 4/1/17]

The Thurber House Writer in Residence [submissions TBA]

The Thurber Prize for American Humor [deadline: 3/31/17]

The William H. Johnson Foundation for the Arts [supporting early career African Americans]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Frogsnack

Frogsnack White Belt

This is not a grant, but a class you can take online for free from the California College of the Arts (or you can pay for actual credit or to be graded). I enjoyed it, also had a good experience with the Kadenze help desk, so I think they have integrity there and I can recommend them.
    https://www.kadenze.com/courses/comics-art-in-relationship/info