New Apartment Advice

When I was at university I was living in the student residence houses and what made them feel like mine was the little things. Every place has a bed/sofa/chair/table/wardrobe etc but it's the prints/photos on the walls and the books and knick knacks on the shelves that made it home.

Also the silly things like the draw with the "maybe useful one day" items and the clothes pile that shifts from place to place (this depend on your housekeeping)
It's home when it feels lived in and when you can say I feel at home here.

AnitaComics

4-Stripe White Belt
Paint the walls! Or decorate if you can't. Rearrange the furniture a bit, and add plants.

Also if you draw/write whatever, organize a little corner that's just for your creative endeavors

Any hobbies? I can't live anywhere that doesn't have space for a TV set and a separate desk for me to write/draw. Technically, I don't need the TV, but I like to lay in bed and watch a little something before I clock out for the night, vs sitting at my desk haha. You could always hang paintings, or get a corkoard and pin pictures or stuff you like.

Just realized I'm writing stuff just for a room. For a WHOLE apartment...assuming it's unfurnished, going to thrift shops that specialize in furniture, or apps like OfferUp would be a good way to shop around for stuff that's "your style". Hanging paintings around that give you a "homey" feeling. Do you like candles or certain scents? Plug-ins work if you're not into candles.

Like you said, it's all YOURS. What makes you comfortable? Don't try to impress someone. At the end of the day, you live there.

Saxitlurg

4-Stripe White Belt
Every place has a bed/sofa/chair/table/wardrobe etc but it's the prints/photos on the walls and the books and knick knacks on the shelves that made it home.
Maybe that's what's holding me back; more than half my wall art is still unpacked. I should probably get/make more anyway, since in my last place it only had to fill up one room, but now it's stretched over a whole apartment, so it seems a little bare.

Saxitlurg

4-Stripe White Belt
Any hobbies? I can't live anywhere that doesn't have space for a TV set and a separate desk for me to write/draw. Technically, I don't need the TV, but I like to lay in bed and watch a little something before I clock out for the night, vs sitting at my desk haha. You could always hang paintings, or get a corkoard and pin pictures or stuff you like.

Just realized I'm writing stuff just for a room. For a WHOLE apartment...assuming it's unfurnished, going to thrift shops that specialize in furniture, or apps like OfferUp would be a good way to shop around for stuff that's "your style". Hanging paintings around that give you a "homey" feeling. Do you like candles or certain scents? Plug-ins work if you're not into candles.

Like you said, it's all YOURS. What makes you comfortable? Don't try to impress someone. At the end of the day, you live there.
It's actually pretty well furnished, since my last roommate was kind of a mooch, so everything important in there was mine. (Remember how Wallace Well's and Scot Pilgrim's apartment was split in the comics? That's what it was like)

Those last words are super helpful, thank you <3 I need to get used to the idea that this is MY space, and I don't have to worry about stepping on someone's toes

Just one little warning... anybody who lives by their own rules becomes either a beast or a god.

Be sure to let others in, and if you do not live in fear of landlords, bang plenty of nails in the walls.

Sincerely,
A. Beast