Power-Up Pitch. The Lesser Evil

Discussion in 'Collaboration Forum' started by ShaneV, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ShaneV

ShaneV Blue Belt

The Lesser Evil

boogyman.jpg We all know that evil exists in our world. We see it in the news every day. We’ve heard our mothers tell the tales about the boogie man that will snatch you up if you are not careful. She’s right. However, there was a time that seemed so innocent and pure. We kept our doors unlocked, our children played in the front yard until the sun went down. Men went to work, and mothers took care of the family.

In the 70’s the good people in these good neighborhoods started to see cracks in the façade. Big gaping cracks. Not everyone however chose to see the cracks. If something happened that was hard to believe, then it could be easily passed over as nonsense. If a child went missing, then it was obvious that the kid ran away over some imagined sleight from a parent or playmate. No one could fathom the possibility that a man could abduct the innocent.

We know now that wasn’t case.
    It’s easy to see who the bad guy was, the criminal the murderous kidnapping fiend. The environment however, nurtured another type of evil. A nonchalant attitude to obvious disgusting events. A denial of the facts that are being played out right in front of your eyes. How can we convince ourselves that something horrifying is not worth our attention?

Another type of evil arrived as well. I call it the Noninvolvement pocket. I’m sure there is some sophisticated article on the sociology on this, and it could explain it all and answer all my questions. At the end of the day, when a witness doesn’t speak up, or lies because they do not want to get involved is disturbing in the least, and at most makes that person truly evil.

I’ve found a way to fit all of this into a four-page comic.
    beachhouse.jpg
    It’s August of 1973 in Galveston, Texas. The heat is sweltering. From a screened in porch an older couple watches cars go buy on the street below. It’s a coastal town so the beach houses are on stilts. The man is drinking Miller beers, while the woman in a moo-moo dress is knitting. Just another scorching summer day by the ocean.
    Ford Truck.jpg
    Cars are driving by, and they recognize each one except for a pickup truck that is driving back and forth down the street. They comment on the truck, the driver, and his moustache, the ugly shirt he’s wearing. They notice the all the small the details from dents, to a broken tail light. They even wonder about writing the license plate number down.

The next day they watch two little girls doing cartwheels and running through a water sprinkler. The girls are just enjoying the day and having fun.

CartWheel.jpg They see the truck again.
    It slows down, continues to drive up the street and turn around.

The couple watches the mustached man get out of the truck. He grabs one of the young girls and throws her screaming into the cab of his truck, and then he grabs the other and does the same to her.

He looks around before getting back in the truck and speeds away leaving skid marks on the road.

The couple quickly suggest to themselves that those girls need to obey their father and quit all that ruckus. They also talk about how that didn’t really look like Owen, but with the hippies getting divorces these day who knows anymore who the real fathers are.

The following day the couple is greeted by a police officer. Who is asking about the girls. They know nothing they saw nothing.
    The final panel of the comic shows the couple talking about how they are not going to get involved with other people’s kids. “It’s not our business!” “What can we really do? It’s not our problem if this young mother doesn’t know who the kid’s dad really is?”

4 Pages with a lot going on in the back ground. A foreground of denial and indifference. Good people refusing to believe what is going on before their eyes. The couple makes up a narrative that fits neatly into the four walls of the gentle beach retirement life they enjoy.

If you are an artist and think your style fits the content and want to help tell this story, then contact me at Shane_Ventura@outlook.com

You can view my work on my Patreon Page.

Or

My Web Comic Site

Donathin Frye likes this.
  2. ShaneV

ShaneV Blue Belt

I thought I should talk more about the team I want to build. I want the max number of people to work with.
    • A Penciler/Inker
    • Colorist
    • Letterer
    • A logo/title designer
    So Come join in the production of The Lesser Evil. (It's a working Title)
    I'd like to put a team together before completing the script. I want the input of the other team members so that we can all truly say "This is my Comic"