Print DPI question

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by Izagar, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Izagar

Izagar 4-Stripe White Belt

I normally work on a 8 in x 11 in canvas at 300-600 DPI. How do I make bigger or smaller versions of the same artwork without sacrificing quality? I kinda forgot how to do that.

Also which of these is the correct way to change the DPI for making a bigger artwork? I started at 600 DPI.

1)

dpi1.png

2)

dpi2.png

I hope this makes sense. I wanted to make several different versions of artwork so people had more choice to buy what they wanted and could afford.

2. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

Are you wanting the actual print to smaller. So for example:

Versions (random numbers I know)?

Then the DPI should be fixed, and then you lower the actual sizes.

3. Izagar

I want to gradually make it bigger to 16x24. I mean I could always try drawing a bigger canvas and then lower it too.

4. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

Ah yeah, that is the way to go then. You lose quality if you make the size bigger and you aren't using vector files.

Izagar likes this.
  5. Bakertoons

Bakertoons 4-Stripe White Belt

Yeah. If you want a bigger file, you pretty much have to draw in that size from the start, unless it's vector..

Izagar likes this.
  6. Izagar

I was fiddling in Photoshop and I can get away with starting at 8x11 and then doubling it but drop the DPI to half it. It didn't seem to change the quality on the screen but print wise, I'm not sure how 150 dpi would look.

But I'll start at a higher size and work down. :)

7. Shanny8

Shanny8 Blue Belt

Save a copy of the file as a PDF or TIFF which will allow you to increase or decrease the size without losing much quality.

Izagar likes this.
  8. DMBrigman

DMBrigman 4-Stripe White Belt

You should always work at the largest file size you think you will need, then export smaller versions from there.

In Photoshop you can change the DPI in the Image Size options, by just changing the number, this also allows you to change the actual print size of the image without changing the DPI. If you use Export then it will change the DPI to 72 and you can modify the width from there.

9. inkorporate

inkorporate White Belt

If you want normal magazine quality, you will need 150dpi final output.

The way to think about it is with pixels. A 8.5x11 is 1275x1650 @15odpi

Look at the pixel size of your artwork and make sure it's more than that. DPI can be adjusted afterwards when compositing.

That being said, work as big as your computer will let you. It will insure flexibility for future reuse of your precious hard work.

Here's something I wrote about that:
    http://tfti.inkorpora.com/resolution-comics/