Sites that review indie comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by JamieMe, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone,

I thought this could be a useful list for the community. If you guys post yours below we can add to the names I've listed below!

Sites that review indie comics:

A

B
    C
    D

F

G

H

M

N

O

• Optical Sloth
    P

R

• Rogues Portal
    • Reading With A Flight Ring

S

T

• The Outhousers
    • Things I Read Sometimes

W

Other

Formatted by @Replicator_Comic.

2. Batichi

Batichi 4-Stripe White Belt

Rogues Portal has done quite a few reviews as well.
    Comics Alliance has also done webcomics in the past.

3. alin_rautoiu

alin_rautoiu 4-Stripe White Belt

4. Batichi

Batichi 4-Stripe White Belt

5. JamieMe

Looking good so far. We are even getting tweets to add sites! Let's support the sites that support us too. Try share their stuff, and hell let's even get them on the board if we can.

6. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Thanks for the list, how would you go about getting a review on these sites? Would you recommend having a few years worth of comics before submitting for a review?

7. JamieMe

Not at all, I've done two issues and a large chunk of that list (as of writing) have reviewed me to the same standards they have Marvel and DC issues etc. More about interesting them upfront, I believe. Approaching them in a human way is important. They get spammed constantly after all. I used to review myself!

Trinket Trance and Shaneoid like this.
  8. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Thanks Jamie. It's great that there are people taking indie comics as seriously as the mainstream.

9. Vosh Daemon

Vosh Daemon White Belt

Start Faire has columns that do reviews for indie/webcomics, though specifically for fantasy themed ones. They're kinda in the business of helping budding artists get their start.

10. PatrickH

PatrickH White Belt

This is great Jamie. Any recommendations on good ways to gain interest and avoid annoying editors?

11. JamieMe

I sometimes think people put barriers in their own way. Confidence is key with how you present yourself. You a
    I just keep it short and sweet tbh. They aren't going to want a wall of text for sure!

12. Dani

Dani White Belt

Here's the best I got:
    Wintre Kitty reviews webcomics. She's popular so the waiting list is kinda long.
    There is also this blog, Things I Read Sometimes, but they seem to be dead?
    The only other one I know is Webcomic Relief, but I don't think he takes requests.

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

Fll likes this.
  13. Daniel Elkin

Daniel Elkin White Belt

Thanks for putting us on top of this list! As the Small Press Comics Editor for Comics Bulletin, I'm always looking for new stuff to review and also new writers to write reviews. Take a look at our site and get a sense of the kinds of books we review -- if you think your work is something we might like, hit me up and I'll see what we can do. If you would like to write reviews, pitch me something and we'll talk!

inkorporate and James E Roche like this.
  14. alin_rautoiu

alin_rautoiu 4-Stripe White Belt

Thanks for the offer! At the moment I'm focusing more on doing videos and podcasts (those are in Romanian). Written stuff is mostly made up of comments I'm leaving on forums and Reddit, slightly expanded and polished.

15. R:ILPERSONA

R:ILPERSONA Blue Belt

Thanks for posting these links!

16. Dani

Dani White Belt

Forgot about Pretty Cool Webcomics! It's more of a positive review blog, but the person in charge might be throwing in the towel due to life issues.

17. James E Roche

James E Roche White Belt

Here are a few more you may also have some luck with:
    The Outhousers
    Whatcha Reading
    Graphic Policy

18. Comic Crusaders

Comic Crusaders White Belt

Hi, Al Mega from Comic Crusaders, feel free to send us your books for review, DM/PM us either Twitter or Facebook or visit our site and send us a message via our contact us page. I also run Geekery Magazine website which is ALL about indie! My advice when submitting is, provide a pdf of the book, some sites like to ask for hard copies, we don't! We get understand the cost to produce those and prefer you sell those, if you want to give us one however, we'll gladly accept. Also provide a cover image, maybe 5 interior pages in order to create hype by doing a preview, we'll follow up with a review, always provide a short synopsis, team credits, links to where someone can purchase the book. If there is an embargo on a review make that clear. We also run a podcast network, Undercover Caps, we have a show dedicated to indie called Flipside Focus,check us out on FB and message us if you want to be interviewed.

19. Bakertoons

Bakertoons 4-Stripe White Belt

Here's another one: Optical Sloth. They mainly review mini-comics (those xeroxed, handmade comics), although they have looked at other types of comics on occasion.

20. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

I was aiming to contact you when I felt I had enough material for you to get a good vibe of where my comic is going. Plus thanks for all the help on Twitter with my comics, you guys rock \m/