Sites that review indie comics?

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,

I thought this could be a useful list for the community. If you guys post yours below we can add to the names I've listed below!

Sites that review indie comics:

A
Ain't it cool
A place to hang your cape hosting Kickstarter spotlights
Advance Comics
B
Bleeding Cool (e-mail on Thursdays with a pre-written blog style post. Word document, and provide images)
Broken Frontier
C
Comics Alternative
Comic book Bin features webcomics!
Comicsbeat features indies, not sure about webcomics
Comicsverse
Comic Crusaders have an Indie Spotlight section - also part of ComicBookHour community!
Comics worth reading
Curiosity of a social misfit haven't reviewed comics in a year, but still active for other stuff
Comic book News
D
Dog patch they sometimes review comics, it's all about furry stuff
E
Engineeredd
F
Fanbase press features indies, and have a #crowdfundingfridays ongoing event
Freakin awesome network mostly about fanart stuff, but they cover webcomics from time to time
The fellowship of the geeks
Fleen features webcomics, but I can't tell if it's still active
Fanboy nation sometimes features indies
For the love of indie
G
Graphic policy both indies and webcomics
Geek initiative focuses on women in geek culture (characters as well as creators). They feature both indie and webcomics
The geek girl project focuses on science fiction and fantasy. Will only review women work
I
Indie Toaster
M
Multiversity comics features indies sometimes, can't find webcomics
N
No flying no tights
O
Optical Sloth
the Outhousers
P
Panel Patter
Pipe dream comics
Pop culture HQ indies only
Page 45
R
Rogues portal they only have one webcomic listed so far, but they do review indies
Reading with a flight ring indies only
S
Sequential state
StArt Faire monthly magazine
Super serious comics has a Kickstarter spotlight section
Stacked podcast
T
the comic journal they seem to review only printed copies
W
Women write about comics focuses on female creators/characters. Features indies
Watcha reading
We the nerdy features indies, and has a Kickstarter spotlight section
Word of the nerd online
the Webcomic relief
the Webcomic review

Thank you to @AnitaComics for the new formatting and commentary. Check out their comic Dawn of the Dad here.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good so far. We are even getting tweets to add sites! Let's support the sites that support us too. Try share their stuff, and hell let's even get them on the board if we can.

Thanks for the list, how would you go about getting a review on these sites? Would you recommend having a few years worth of comics before submitting for a review?

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the list, how would you go about getting a review on these sites? Would you recommend having a few years worth of comics before submitting for a review?
Not at all, I've done two issues and a large chunk of that list (as of writing) have reviewed me to the same standards they have Marvel and DC issues etc. More about interesting them upfront, I believe. Approaching them in a human way is important. They get spammed constantly after all. I used to review myself!

Not at all, I've done two issues and a large chunk of that list (as of writing) have reviewed me to the same standards they have Marvel and DC issues etc. More about interesting them upfront, I believe. Approaching them in a human way is important. They get spammed constantly after all. I used to review myself!
Thanks Jamie. It's great that there are people taking indie comics as seriously as the mainstream.

Start Faire has columns that do reviews for indie/webcomics, though specifically for fantasy themed ones. They're kinda in the business of helping budding artists get their start.

* Comics Bulletin has a few sections about indie and small-press comics.

* Broken Frontier does good work.

* Alex Hoffman reviews small-press and alternative comics on Sequential State.

* Rob Clough reviews small-press and alternative comics on High-Low.

* The Comics Journal, obviously

* Panel Patter

* I write and make videos about mainstream and indie stuff around 30/70.
Thanks for putting us on top of this list! As the Small Press Comics Editor for Comics Bulletin, I'm always looking for new stuff to review and also new writers to write reviews. Take a look at our site and get a sense of the kinds of books we review -- if you think your work is something we might like, hit me up and I'll see what we can do. If you would like to write reviews, pitch me something and we'll talk!

alin_rautoiu

4-Stripe White Belt
As the Small Press Comics Editor for Comics Bulletin, I'm always looking for new stuff to review and also new writers to write reviews. Take a look at our site and get a sense of the kinds of books we review -- if you think your work is something we might like, hit me up and I'll see what we can do. If you would like to write reviews, pitch me something and we'll talk!
Thanks for the offer! At the moment I'm focusing more on doing videos and podcasts (those are in Romanian). Written stuff is mostly made up of comments I'm leaving on forums and Reddit, slightly expanded and polished.

Dani

White Belt
Hi, Al Mega from Comic Crusaders, feel free to send us your books for review, DM/PM us either Twitter or Facebook or visit our site and send us a message via our contact us page. I also run Geekery Magazine website which is ALL about indie! My advice when submitting is, provide a pdf of the book, some sites like to ask for hard copies, we don't! We get understand the cost to produce those and prefer you sell those, if you want to give us one however, we'll gladly accept. Also provide a cover image, maybe 5 interior pages in order to create hype by doing a preview, we'll follow up with a review, always provide a short synopsis, team credits, links to where someone can purchase the book. If there is an embargo on a review make that clear. We also run a podcast network, Undercover Caps, we have a show dedicated to indie called Flipside Focus,check us out on FB and message us if you want to be interviewed.

Hi, Al Mega from Comic Crusaders, feel free to send us your books for review, DM/PM us either Twitter or Facebook or visit our site and send us a message via our contact us page. I also run Geekery Magazine website which is ALL about indie! My advice when submitting is, provide a pdf of the book, some sites like to ask for hard copies, we don't! We get understand the cost to produce those and prefer you sell those, if you want to give us one however, we'll gladly accept. Also provide a cover image, maybe 5 interior pages in order to create hype by doing a preview, we'll follow up with a review, always provide a short synopsis, team credits, links to where someone can purchase the book. If there is an embargo on a review make that clear. We also run a podcast network, Undercover Caps, we have a show dedicated to indie called Flipside Focus,check us out on FB and message us if you want to be interviewed.
I was aiming to contact you when I felt I had enough material for you to get a good vibe of where my comic is going. Plus thanks for all the help on Twitter with my comics, you guys rock \m/