Small Press Day 2018

Just announced by the guys in charge, Small Press Day 2018 takes places on July 7th.

The first Small Press Day worked out so well in Dublin - organised by our local Forbidden Planet - that they've continued the tradition. I got to work on the event last year as a volunteer organiser (I run a market in Dublin called The Geek Mart, so I knew a thing or two about putting an event together!) and got to have a table at the event - effectively a small press version of an artist alley.

I highly recommend trying to get involved in a Small Press Day event in your area. Local shops have a tendency to run them, but some places may be under-represented to have a shop - or people to show up!

Check with your local stores if they're participating this year and in what fashion. If they don't have the inclination or the budget to run an event for small press comic creators, look into free venues in your town.

And holler if you need advice or assistance in putting something together! I've been at this for a while, now!

IMG_20180201_125523.jpg

Hey! I work in Dave's Comics in Brighton and we are super excited for Small Press Day. It can be quiet for us so I hope we can make more noise this year and bring people in to see the good stuff!!! We usually have a guy who runs various small press events around the town during the year but not sure if he is doing it anymore, so if need be I will take the helm...any ideas or suggestions for fun new things we could do for the day?

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Hey! I work in Dave's Comics in Brighton and we are super excited for Small Press Day. It can be quiet for us so I hope we can make more noise this year and bring people in to see the good stuff!!! We usually have a guy who runs various small press events around the town during the year but not sure if he is doing it anymore, so if need be I will take the helm...any ideas or suggestions for fun new things we could do for the day?
Sweet, maybe we can get ppl throwing up a thread that can track some activities, and it could encourage others?

If you're doing it in-store, one or two well-known creators doing a signing is a good idea. It depends on the size of the shop, but a few more wouldn't go amiss, and having them partake in comic jams with people who come into the shop could be a fun way to increase engagement on the day.

Allowing creators to sell their books at tables can help, but might be better suited to a separate venue. Last year in Dublin, we also had a panel room run by a podcast, who were also comic creators. Those usually resulted in good crowds, and as the panels were recorded, they provide an opportunity for post-event marketing.

Gosh Comics in London, I'm told, ran a great event last year. They'd be worth talking to for an in-store event.

Why don't we have this in the States? Like Record Store Day?
It began as a UK initiative. The Irish very quickly hopped in before the first one had even taken place. If you have a local comic book store, see if they're willing to host an event. Otherwise, make it a thing yourself! Find a venue. Make a big deal out of it!

If you're doing it in-store, one or two well-known creators doing a signing is a good idea. It depends on the size of the shop, but a few more wouldn't go amiss, and having them partake in comic jams with people who come into the shop could be a fun way to increase engagement on the day.

Allowing creators to sell their books at tables can help, but might be better suited to a separate venue. Last year in Dublin, we also had a panel room run by a podcast, who were also comic creators. Those usually resulted in good crowds, and as the panels were recorded, they provide an opportunity for post-event marketing.

Gosh Comics in London, I'm told, ran a great event last year. They'd be worth talking to for an in-store event.
Yeah I was thinking about creators...I wonder who we could ask, I will have a think and a brainstorm with my colleagues!
Yes! Being all the way out down South (or rather, not in Soho, London) not sure we can do the same kind of awesome chock-a-block with creators event since footfall is generally lower but..we will try!

I had Tales Of The Fractured Mind in store at Comic Book Guys in Northern Ireland. Was a great day and was pretty successful, with loads of other creators. Would love to do it again! Absolutely love SPD and its a great thing for comic book stores and small press creators alike.