Stan Lee accused of sexual misconduct

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
The Daily Mail have posted a story that nurses have accused iconic Marvel comic creator Stan Lee of sexual misconduct. Here is an excerpt from the article:

• Stan Lee, the 95-year-old comic book legend who co-created Spider Man, the X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and other characters is accused of sex abuse
  • DailyMail.com can disclose a nursing company employed to care for him stopped working with him after string of complaints
  • Young female nurses complained he demanded oral sex from them, groped them and walked around naked
  • But Lee's lawyers tells DailyMail.com he has sent a cease and desist letter to the company which employs the women, accusing it of defaming Lee
  • 'Mr Lee will not be extorted or blackmailed, and will pay no money to anyone because he has done absolutely nothing wrong,' attorney Tom Lallas said
  • Lee has a personal fortune of at least $50 million and his home in the Bird Streets area has commanding views of Los Angeles
  • He remains a fixture at comic book conventions
Here is a link to the full article.

The man is 95 years old. He has done some very bad things in the past, but you have to realize the man is most likely not going to live to see the end of 2018. His body is falling apart, he's not a picture of health, physically or mentally. The fact that he can still walk unassisted is one of the only boones in his life, a life I might add where he just recently lost his wife.

I don't think he's physically and mentally capable of doing what he's accused of, at his current age. And I just have to say, when it comes your time to wait out your final few years, I want you to remember how it feels to be so feeble and weak, knowing your next breath might be your last and have something like this lay on your feet.

He's still apparently has enough faculties to appear in movies.

I would certainly hope that when I'm old, I still know enough not to grope people. That is inappropriate behavior regardless of age. I'm giving him a sliver of benefit of the doubt only because I've heard the Daily Mail is not really reputable. But many men of his era were raised thinking they could get away with such bad behavior, so like I said, would not surprise me if true. In fact it reminds me a lot of Bush Sr reportedly groping women from his wheelchair. People play it off as "haha what a dirty old man" but seriously, it's gross and unacceptable. Don't touch people without asking first.

It doesn't take much to film a 10 second cameo. Also, only a sliver?
What is it our justice system is based off again? Oh, that's right, the idea that a person is innocent until proven by a sufficient level of evidence(in criminal cases, without even a lingering shadow of doubt) of being guilty.

Stan lee is innocent until we see that level of evidence. It's disgusting that a person's reputation can be tarnished by the simple accusation. The idea that all accusations "MUST" be believed as a form of third wave feminism is disgusting. TIme and time again, we see a knee-jerk reaction, formal reprimands made, resignations placed, and finally, weeks later, innocence proven.

Duke Lacrosse is a prime example of this, where one of the accused stated that he had ample evidence of his innocence: video from an ATM showing he was withdrawing money on the opposite side of town during the alleged attack. Did this save his reputation? Nope.

People like Harvey Weinstein, Al "Stuart Smally" Fraken, and Kevin Spacey are the ones where they incriminate themselves with recorded evidence, flimsy excuses clouding outright admissions of guilt.

Nurse accuses Stan Lee of something. Stan Lee denies it. We got "he said, she said". no evidence. Until evidence comes to light, he's innocent.

I say this when a man who was like a second father to me worked in Marvel during the 70's and early 80's, and was one of the many artists screwed by the Marvel system that Stan Lee benefitted from. Like I said, the man is guilty of alot. This? Until we see evidence, I say we treat him as innocent until proven guilty.

I'm giving him a sliver of benefit of the doubt only because I've heard the Daily Mail is not really reputable.
Is there a better source available? The paper version is bad enough, but the online version of The Daily Mail is notorious for its 'Sidebar of Shame' - a horrid, crypto-mysogynist, clickbait-ey pile of awful, that is at odds with the idea of them ever trying to be taken seriously on any issue relating to the objectification/abuse of women.

Is there a better source available? The paper version is bad enough, but the online version of The Daily Mail is notorious for its 'Sidebar of Shame' - a horrid, crypto-mysogynist, clickbait-ey pile of awful, that is at odds with the idea of them ever trying to be taken seriously on any issue relating to the objectification/abuse of women.
So far this seems to be the only link, so I'm not taking this accusation that seriously.

But like I said, if more stuff turned up, I wouldn't be surprised. Comics is a notoriously toxic industry for women. I mean, DC *just* fired Eddie Berganza after, what, 10-20 *years* of known bad behavior? And he's far from the only one in the industry. Comic cons were a problem too for women-- that's why so many of them are now coming out with specific anti-harassment policies.

And like you said, Stan Lee is an old guy. He grew up in that era where the attitude was very "haha, boys will be boys!" and it was always the woman's fault, rather than the man's for not being able to keep his hands to himself like an adult. We didn't even have the term "sexual harassment" until what, the 70's?

So a cultural attitude dismissive of women and implicitly giving permission for men to do whatever, and an industry that is super toxic to women and has a history of keeping known harassers around? I'm not surprised when even bigger names get accused of bad behavior. And I'm generally inclined to believe women when they come forward. They face massive, MASSIVE backlash and harassment for doing so, there's really no gain for them to accuse someone falsely.

ANd until there is actual evidence, I do not believe.

I know people who were in this industry. Like I said, a man who was like a second father to me was deep in this industry in the 70's and 80's.

For God's sake, Stan Lee can't even dress himself or bathe himself anymore, and you think he is able to sexually harass women?

For God's sake, Stan Lee can't even dress himself or bathe himself anymore, and you think he is able to sexually harass women?
Harassment takes all kinds of forms. He could be leering at these women, he could be making lewd or suggestive comments, he could be groping them or otherwise touching inappropriately. The accusations above say he groped young nurses, demanded oral sex and walked around naked. Even if it was just comments, that can easily become harassment.