• #ComicBookHour returns this Sunday on Twitter at 6pm UK (10am PT) for a PROMOTING COMICS Q&A.

tell me your background hates...

hi folks, just a quick post to say I will be launching a few new projects in the new year. one of these is dedicated to helping people who hate drawing backgrounds. not saying too much details right now (sorry) however give me clue about the sort of things you hate drawing in backgrounds and I can add them to my list.
cheers.

Everything? If I can make stories set in the desert/wilderness/space I'll be set for life.

I guess the problems I have the most with is more placement than individual items.
Indoors: I guess it's making the place look 'lived in' piles of clothes, frames, books etc easy to leave it out.
Outdoors: Just building in general - making them individual yet the same, adding crowds/background characters.

i feel your pain kevin, you just want to get on with the story..don't worry help is on the way next year! i added your stuff to my list thanks for the imput

Saxitlurg

4-Stripe White Belt
Anything inside or with buildings. My style is very curvy and organic, so all the straight lines and perspectives are really frustrating and difficult for me. With a tree or a landscape it can be crooked or curved and still look right, but it's so easy to make buildings and interior spacing look wrong by messing up the perspective even a little bit.

How to start making backgrounds, like, I get the perspective, but how do you close the gap between understanding the theory to actually going about the design and setting? How much should you cling to the perspective lines? What about organic environments? How do you go about making not square forms? How do you not make the square look "dead"? What should you keep in mind when placing a character in a setting, like size ratios? when you sketch out an environment, should you start with the perspective line or sketch first, then add them later? just generally a detailed breakdown of the environment process, I seem to find tons of charater design breakdowns on youtube, I'm missing something like that for environments.

How to start making backgrounds, like, I get the perspective, but how do you close the gap between understanding the theory to actually going about the design and setting? How much should you cling to the perspective lines? What about organic environments? How do you go about making not square forms? How do you not make the square look "dead"? What should you keep in mind when placing a character in a setting, like size ratios? when you sketch out an environment, should you start with the perspective line or sketch first, then add them later? just generally a detailed breakdown of the environment process, I seem to find tons of charater design breakdowns on youtube, I'm missing something like that for environments.
well the easy answer is like anything else one step at a time. I hoping to start helping people with backgrounds this year.

This reminds me a bit of the idea of the Draperyman. Old Master paintings should really be 'from the studio of' rather than by a single artist.

Comics usually chop tasks down, so why not add a Drapery credit?

Writer: Robin Wright
Pencils/Inks: Des Lynam
Colours: James Brown
Letters: Kiki Dee
Drapery: @Aron Mason

Ok i can now show you what I'm up too.. I gave up drawing my own comic and now i'm launching a new idea to help all you background haters build your own library for quick use and minimal time. i thought i would start with something small so my first kit is for a ginger bread house. here is a quick (under a minuet) video to show you.
anything you want on the list for me to get around to please let me know. also if anybody is interested in me working on exclusive stuff just for them get in touch and we can work out a price n such. cheers peeps.
you can buy the kit here: https://gumroad.com/l/mepu

Little confused. So you're compiling a list of what people hate to draw to make examples they can use to scaffold off of? Like a "how to draw" video? If I'm understanding correctly, instead of doing something like a "Gingerbread house pack" that someone would probably use one or 2 things, why not make blank templates for different categories?

Nature pack - trees, clouds, lake, shrubbery
Vegetation pack - fruits, vegetables
Building and Perspective - blank buildings of different sizes from different angles and perspective

People can then download these templates and they're universal. As they sketch or trace the template, they can customize them on a new layer.

As for me personally, I started making models of locations in my comic so save some sanity.

you got the idea sort of, the gingerbread house is just the first pack i did. i have a list of things im working through and if anybody wants something added to my list for me to bring out as a pack later they are welcome to do so. in time I hope to build this into a brand people can have lots of background choices if they want to throw i a quick background.

So like a clip art library? And then the video is an example you give to show the possibilities?

I still think a blank template would be better, followed by an example. For instance, take that gingerbread house at its blueprint. Just a couple of lines. But then you add this and this and some color, and it goes from a box to a cabin. Could turn into a popular YouTube channel and a Patreon where people can download packs every month.

So like a clip art library? And then the video is an example you give to show the possibilities?

I still think a blank template would be better, followed by an example. For instance, take that gingerbread house at its blueprint. Just a couple of lines. But then you add this and this and some color, and it goes from a box to a cabin. Could turn into a popular YouTube channel and a Patreon where people can download packs every month.
i like the idea but at present im limited on what i can do with videos. all my vidios are done frame by frame at present. hoping to affored a camra at some point and do more in that area. (as for patreon i dumped mine and would not touch them again if you paid me.)

If animation is the problem (frame-by-frame, I've been there), try using programs like Anime Studio. Old versions are pretty cheap compared to...whatever people use these days. I used the program before, and it's fairly easy. Only problem is, it's good for maybe 90 seconds. Then you need to make a new file and combine them at the end in a video editor.

Why the camera?

Amazon - Anime Studio:
https://www.amazon.com/eFrontier-An...8&qid=1516032778&sr=1-9&keywords=anime+studio