The Superhero Webcomic Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by Shaneoid, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Hi Ben and thanks for the inclusion. What do I think? WOW is what I think! What an instantly compelling and well written opening. I want to know more about how things transpire and about your main character. The art and direction is spot on!

This is the first time I've seen this webcomic around, how are you getting word of it out there? Also what are your feelings on our collaborative venture we've been talking about here on CBH forums?

2. Bencomicgraphics

Bencomicgraphics White Belt

Well, not much actually. I have spent most of my time working on the comic, versus promoting it. I've had mixed results in past with collaborative ventures in the past.

I've tried joining the Collective of Heroes, but they keep giving excuses about why I don't meet their standards.

3. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Ah yes, I was thinking we as a community could work on something like CoH, it would really be in our collective interests to help promote each other.

Donathin Frye likes this.
  4. Bencomicgraphics

I agree. I have theories as to why CoH keeps rejecting Majestic Knight, but i won't go into detail here. I think it might be better to create a more inclusive community.

I am personal friends with the creators of Dasien ( http://dasien.com/ ) and the creators of SGVY ( http://montrose.is/sgvy/ ) and can probably talk them into some sort of community gathering.

Shaneoid likes this.
  5. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Cool, well as I've said previously in this thread, I think we as superhero comic creators are in an advantageous position among our webcomic contemporaries as we're able to promote our comics differently. I could potentially put in for a Wordpress site and just go for it, unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Infected Blood likes this.
  6. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

I think this is much better than stalling or waiting for further feedback! Go for it, I know at least Trinket and I will work something out (he's got a couple of great ideas under development) :)

Trinket Trance and Shaneoid like this.
  7. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Cool, would a basic account do or would I need something more expensive?

8. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

The basic account has limited upload size. I think I already posted some info about WordPress a few pages ago on this thread... Sorry, I don't have time to look it up, right now :(

Shaneoid likes this.
  9. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

Actually, found it by luck!

Trinket Trance likes this.
  10. Bencomicgraphics

anyone else have any thoughts? I love to hear thoughts on my comic.

11. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Hey all I thought I'd conjure up a few more questions for us all to tuck in to and reinvigorate this thread. Given that I'm aiming at a project which will help promote superhero webcomics it would be cool to hear some of your thoughts on the following;-

♦ Do superhero webcomics suffer from being out there as solo efforts? Would a collective or corporate identity enhance the experience of these?
    ♦ What are some of the best features of mainstream that could help superhero webcomics? What are the worst? Are some just incompatible?
    ♦ How broad should the genre be in accepting comics? What constitutes 'superhero'?
    ♦ Given that we could give platform to several webcomics via one advertisement, where would be good to do this?

12. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

If you guys ever did a crossover event it could easily be hosted here, and pushed by the CBH engine on Twitter.

13. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Thanks Jamie that would be awesome

14. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

No worries, we have a flexible platform. Until September it is POWER-UPS for example, and after that we'll have different stuff. Keep the community engaged!

15. Trinket Trance

Trinket Trance 4-Stripe White Belt

I'll chew on that thought food.

1: I'm not sure they suffer without so much as they could benefit from cross promotion and somewhat of a stable, orderly community/banner behind them.
    2: Their marketing mechanism is clearly their greatest strength but more organically, the synergy of a shared universe and potential for cross overs increases interest in titles across the board.
    2b: Forced reboots are the most annoying for me as a reader, or forcing too many tie-ins to a large event storyline.
    3: I'll always vote for maximum broadness. Variety is The Spice. I'd qualify "superhero" as anyone that goes out of their way to be useful/helpful and has in some way gained exceptional means of doing so - be that determination, resources or extra-human abilities.
    4: Hmm. This'll take some research. Are we talking buying ad space on a prominent comic site like Bleeding Cool, for example?

16. micahdraws

micahdraws Blue Belt

1.) I don't think they suffer any more than any other solo effort webcomic, but this may take research beyond my skill to find out for sure. Still, there are successful superhero or superhero-like comics out there that are outside the Big 2 banner. Invincible started in 2002. Spawn and Hellboy are arguably superhero comics. At the very least, there are some tropes in them also seen by many Marvel/DC comics. This isn't even considering the vast numbers of webcomics that openly call themselves superhero comics.

2.) Let's see... Best features
    • Marketing dollars and the ability to provide competitive pay rates for professional artists/writers to work on their comics. Good art goes a long way.
    • The ability to create multiple teams, characters, and stories simultaneously, giving "something for everyone." Obviously it's not literally something for everyone, but there's enough variety that if you don't like this Marvel team, there's a chance you can find something else in Marvel you do like.
    • A shared universe with big world building goals. If we're being honest, this is something I find particularly cool and would love to see happen with Sparrowverse if and when it gets big enough.
    Worst features
    • On the Marvel side, by far the public attitude of many writers and editors. I've seen so many of them being assholes to fans who disagree with anything they do. There are ways to handle criticism and fan backlash and Marvel consistently does this poorly.
    • Power creep. DC seems a bit more consistent than Marvel, but some characters just seem to get more and more powerful until it gets kind of absurd.
    • Inconsistent writing. To some extent, this can't be helped when you have a character with a sixty-year real time history. On the other hand, writers get shuffled around so often that they seem to forget events that happened to a character last year. It can be frustrating for me to see key points of a character suddenly ignored or forgotten.
    • Too many crossovers and meta-plot events that confuse everything (looking at Marvel the most here).
    I think the most incompatible ones for a solo creator are the multiple teams/characters, the large shared universe, and the crossovers. For better or worse, we typically have one shot to really make our comic stick. Most of us can't handle more than one or two ongoing series at a time and while it would be lovely to have multiple jumping-on points, it's something that's not realistic without the money to pay for it.

3.) Honestly, I think anyone willing to call themselves a superhero is at least worth consideration. Even among the big 2 there are many different genres and styles. There's the "typical" superheroics of the Justice League, Teen Titans, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers, there's the space opera stuff from Guardians of the Galaxy (or sometimes the X-Men). There's more gritty, noir style comics like some Batman arcs, some Daredevil arcs, or Spider-Man Noir. There's even superheroes of the far future like the Legion of Superheroes.

The only thing I don't see running very long is historic superheroes -- at least not before the 1900s. There's some, but it would be kind of cool to see, say, a Roman Empire themed superhero team or something.

Hmm, something to think about with a Sparrow spin-off...

4.) I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Are we talking hosting space/support? A collective site a la CoH or SpiderForest? Or something different?

17. Shanny8

Shanny8 Blue Belt

Speaking of...been working on a "Roman" themed character. He wouldnt be in that particular era- but he was from that era(Immortality is the device). still working on some stuff with development.

18. micahdraws

micahdraws Blue Belt

I have a feeling he would have some things to talk about with the Sparrow and the Prophet ;)

19. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

Hey guys thanks for all your input, I just threw together a new idea as a lot of the ones I was going for has been taken, let me know your thoughts on the logo and title[​IMG]

I was thinking something more magazine-like. Shout outs, creator interviews, news update maybe via Twitter, Instagram. Collectives are alright but this would be about anyone who's doing a Superhero comic can jump on and off.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    DLF likes this.
  20. ZTG

ZTG 4-Stripe White Belt

So something similar to Start Faire? If so, would it be weekly like Shonen Jump or a monthly series?