Webcomic Avenue - I am here to help :)

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by Infected Blood, Sep 7, 2017.

?

How likely are you to join WA?

1. Very likely!

60.0%
  2. Likely

20.0%
  3. Not sure

20.0%
  4. Unlikely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not gonna happen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

Hello everyone!

Some time ago I opened a thread asking for opinions about Webcomic Avenue, the new platform stemming from Top Web Comics, due to launch around 1 January, 2018. In it, I kept a very neutral tone, because I meant to gauge interest from the community. I am very happy to see that it stimulated some discussion and it has recently picked up again, a more details about WA are being revealed on social media.

However, it is now time for me to come out! I have been helping Top Web Comics for a few months now to build Webcomic Avenue. I personally worked on the basic layout of the site (you can see a couple of examples below) and I am also acting as a direct advisor to the WA owner. Although I may not be able to answer all of your questions, I am here to help as much as I can :)

Personally, I am envisioning a community where everyone (irrespective of experience, genre, and artistic skills) has a chance to gain visibility. As creators, we have seen many platforms sadly failing us in that respect. Webcomic Avenue takes the opposite direction: we want to empower all creators by offering a powerful platform with plenty of perks that truly offer ample opportunities to all artists to earn readers, views, comments... and much more! This is the vision I share with Webcomic Avenue and the main reason why I joined them in this incredible adventure that we believe will make webcomic history.

So, what's in it for you? Lots! These are two examples of what a comic page will look like. First, a color comic:

[​IMG]

And then, a black and white comic:

[​IMG]

As you can see by comparing the two, you can customize your page quite a bit - all buttons and banners can be changed at will (to the exclusion of the WA top and bottom banners, of course). Everyone wants to put their personal touch on their creations, and WA understands that. No more generic platform pages!

What about perks? Well, here's something really beautiful for you. WA will leverage on TWC for extra visibility:

1 like received on WA = 1 TWC one-time vote
    1 share received on WA = 1 TWC one-time vote
    1 Subscription received on WA = 5 TWC one-time vote

Any comic using WA will start the month with 500 free votes on TWC as long as they updated their account at least once in the previous month.

You can find more information about Webcomic Avenue on our official Facebook page and follow us on our Twitter account.

I am truly honored and excited to be part of this, and I would love to encourage a productive discussion with the CBH community about our new platform. What makes you enthusiastic about WA? What are you looking forward to seeing that you haven't found elsewhere? And of course - if you have questions for me, I will do my best to answer :)

Let's do this!

2. Valalaraptor

Valalaraptor White Belt

Looks great so far! I really love all the customization options!
    I have a few questions:
    1. Do you know what kind, if any, exclusivity policies WA will have?
    2. What kind of content guidelines will WA have?
    3. What kind of format will the pages have? As in, will it be page by page like on Smack Jeeves, or more episodic with possible multiple pages per episode, like Tapastic or Webtoons? Or something different maybe?
    Thank you for posting this! I'm excited to see how much you guys have planned!

Infected Blood and Shaneoid like this.
  3. DvIAtioN

DvIAtioN White Belt

This looks amazing! Thanks for all the hard work. I can't wait to join.

Infected Blood likes this.
  4. Bakertoons

Bakertoons 4-Stripe White Belt

I find this very intriguing, indeed! But yeah, I'm wondering what the TOC will be like. Specifically, there won't be any repeats with Tapas, I hope.

Also, if you have your own domain name, can you use it to link to the Webcomic Avenue site?
    Will users be allowed to include Project Wonderful ads on the site?

I might look into moving my comic on WA when it happens. Will be paying attention

5. SpaceTurtleArt

SpaceTurtleArt Blue Belt

I'm interested mostly in how the mirroring option is going to work! Anything that allows me to mirror for wider visibility while still driving traffic to my main site/involving minimal work on my end is very appealing. One of the things I disliked about Tapas was that their uploading requirements were so different and time-consuming from my other platforms.

inkorporate and Infected Blood like this.
  6. Shaneoid

Shaneoid Purple Belt

First off, well done with this project and especially with communicating so much with the community. I think the name "Webcomic Avenue" is just brilliant, it has a very cozy and welcoming feel to it, as much as telling us what it does on the tin. Secondly hats off that you're empowering everyone and not just a select few, I always thought by not promoting all talent equally not only were so many creators being left out on other sites, but the potential for these creators to grow was being hampered. This project has a great vibe about it and I'm very excited. It'll be interesting to keep up with the progress, what's the time scale for the launch?

7. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

Thanks a lot for your questions, see answers below!

@Valalaraptor
    At this time, there are absolutely no plan to accept any form of exclusivity. We believe that comics deserve to be shared and enjoyed. It is not our business to dictate to Creators where they should and shouldn't post their comics. We will welcome everyone, despite their level of popularity and talent. We share YOUR dream and you will always see love and support in Webcomic Avenue. That is our promise. If this position is ever to change, it will be discussed with the community ahead of time with our reasoning behind the change but for now, there is no plan at all for doing it.

Webcomic Avenue will accept all types of comics for the time being and will not have any immediate restrictions. If this is subject to change, we will discuss this with the community ahead of making any changes. We will offer guidelines in terms of recommended sizes and suggestions on how to make comics but as for content, the edge of the Universe is your limit.

That will be completely up to the creator to decide. Our system will accept single pages for the user to scroll through like a book or it can be set up through long form or multiple pages so that the reader can simply scroll down. If Webcomic Avenue is to do their job right, we will not restrict the creator for choosing the best approach for their comic.

@DvIAtioN
    Thank you very much for your enthusiasm! Looking forward to having your comics on WA :)

@Bakertoons
    Yes, if you self-host (like myself), you can do that! Your website will gain a WA banner at the top of the platform :)
    And yes, you are allowed to include anything you want, including Project Wonderful ads, in the square area - the one where you can see the Patreon ad in the first example above and the Other comics by Kari-Sue image in the second example. As you can see, each creator above chose to put their ad picks in that square already :)

(I hear you!)
    Webcomic Avenue will NEVER accept any Intellectual Property from anyone. Even our featured comics will not be affiliated with Webcomic Avenue or Topwebcomics. The featured comics will be randomized based on a formula set per category and by rank on TWC. This means that staff members will never have any biased opinions on any webcomics who get featured and everyone gets their fair share. Staff members will have their own webcomics but they will follow the same rules and expectations as everyone else, this includes the feature opportunities.

@SpaceTurtleArt
    See my reply above! There will be some exclusive features to WA that won't work automatically with your site, of course, but you are free to add them on your own :)

@Shaneoid
    Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm!
    Debut date is 1 January, 2018, but we are hoping to launch sooner :)

Keep the questions coming, my friends! I'm here to help ;)

8. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

How will the system handle joke-strips that are, let's say, A5 sized?

9. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

We will give the recommended sizes. The plan is to accommodate for as many sizes as possible, but less common ones may incur into some limitations.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Screaming Rat likes this.
  10. Valalaraptor

Valalaraptor White Belt

Thank you responding so quickly and with so much info! These answers only make me more eager for January!

11. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

Not a problem, that's what I'm here for! On a related note, I'm dying to say so much more, but I need to hold my fingers, because we can't reveal everything right away :) I can promise, though, there will be plenty more exciting features to WA!

Shaneoid likes this.
  12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons 4-Stripe White Belt

Thanks for responding! Yeah, the more I hear about it, the more I'm excited for it. Definitely going to give it a go once it's ready!

Also, is it safe to assume you can queue pages in advance? I literally have months-long buffer for my comics, so it would be great that I can do that.

13. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

You are very welcome :) I'm happy you are joining us, it will be a super-exciting ride!
    As for your question, yes, that is in the works, as it's very important for us to give authors the freedom to upload as much as they like and whenever they like. This is a feature that in my very personal opinion should be available to all platforms. Uploading pages takes a lot of time, and being able to schedule their release saves much of said time and also effort.

14. DLF

DLF Blue Belt

I was always happy and content to self host because of the freedom it gave. Seems like this has that same freedom AS WELL AS the built in community.
    So...count me in when this launches. :)

Shaneoid and Infected Blood like this.
  15. kabocha

kabocha White Belt

Welp, it's finally the thread that got me to join the CBH forums!

Firstly -- I am immensely appreciative of how friendly and forthcoming WebcomicAvenue has been! Thank you, and many kudos are due!

...Now for the tech questions. Mostly because I'm curious. Apologies if I'm a little blunt!

1. How are passwords secured in WCA? If I remember, there was a point in time when TWC used to handle it in plaintext, but I'd really hope the data is at least salted and hashed. (mmm, salt...)

2. What are the upload limitations regarding page dimensions and filesize, and how are these enforced?

3. How are deletions/account closings handled? What data can be reasonably expected to "live on" should a member choose to remove the content (or in the aboslute worst case, delete their account)?

4. Generally, how is WCA funded? Is it JUST via ads, or are other methods coming into play?

5. What are the mature content guidelines, and how is it handled within the community? Are these creators also eligible for promotion?

6. Subsequently, will there be a process in place for readers to report content which may violate community guidelines (or actually be illegal)?

7. Expounding on this further -- are users going to be able to set a flag on their account to hide NSFW content? I've run into a few unpleasant experiences on my lunch break at work on TWC's bonus incentive section in the past. (Seems to be better this month for sure!)

Again, thank you for your openness and honesty! Thanks for taking a webcomic-centric approach. :D

16. Whitherling

Whitherling White Belt

Really excited about this so far. :) I've been browsing the questions and I don't think I've seen this one asked - I release my webcomic a chapter at a time every few months, instead of the standard webcomic model of weekly/biweekly single-page updates. Will there (or could there) be a category for webcomics following this sort of binge-reader-friendly release schedule?

17. Trinket Trance

Trinket Trance 4-Stripe White Belt

Knowing that you're involved, @Infected Blood, gives me the utmost confidence in the platform's intent and integrity. I'm definitely on board.

Infected Blood and Shaneoid like this.
  18. Infected Blood

Infected Blood Blue Belt

Wow, some great activity going on here, thanks everyone!

@DLF Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! Looking forward to having you when we launch :)

@kabocha Jamie must be happy to hear that you joined CBH thanks to us ;) These are all great questions you are asking and don't be afraid to come up with more, if you wish. I am here on purpose, plus questions help both the community to learn about Webcomic Avenue, and Webcomic Avenue itself, so we can plan ahead for what we may have not considered. Answers below :)
    (I love salt)
    Right now the passwords are being handled in plaintext still but we are looking at improving it for WA. We are currently looking at options so we don't really have a direct answer for the time being.
    WA will be setting a dimension limit and any size larger than that will be refused. We will offer the recommended sizes of course for better viewing. As for the actual sizes, unfortunately it is still too early to tell as we are striving for the largest dimensions possible and as we find new opportunities, we keep increasing it. Therefore to avoid providing any false information, for the time being it is a work in progress but it will not be smaller than the other platforms available now. We're trying to make it bigger if we can.
    That is a very good question and for the time being, a shadow copy remains in the backend for now due to legal reason. The closed account will not be visible to anyone and would be listed as deleted so it won't be editable. We are working on seeing if we can securely and permanently delete the info but for now that is the current option as recommended by our legal team.
    For the time being, WA is being funded by the owner of TWC. Ad revenue will keep WA functioning and offer revenue shares to the creators very soon (and I'm loving this).
    The mature content will have to be flagged as mature. Yes they will also be eligible for promotion nonetheless but only to the members who chooses to accept mature content promotions.
    Yes there will be a report function that will inform WA staff members to take immediate action.
    Yes there will be higher account settings in WA to control the type of content that is shown to the viewer.

@Whitherling Really glad to hear you're excited! To answer your question:
    There is not a category for such as we speak but that doesn't mean there won't be one in the future. If it is requested by enough people because it becomes a demand we will gladly add it. We always welcome ideas and are always looking for feedback.

@Trinket Trance My friend, I am honored and humbled by your words. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Looking forward to publishing something on WA together ;)

19. Aron Mason

Aron Mason Blue Belt

this sounds interesting. the biggest problem i have with comic host sites is they all have different size pages, and i have over 500 pages, to keep resizing them to fit different hosts gets old will the page size for tapas or web toons fit this new site?

DLF and Infected Blood like this.
  20. Whitherling

Whitherling White Belt

@Infected Blood Ah, I figured as much. Frequent and consistent delivery of content is the webcomic audience's bread and butter, after all, and I won't pretend otherwise. Thanks for the prompt reply! :)