Webcomic tech talk

Discussion in 'Creative Discussion' started by grawlixcomix, May 19, 2017.

1. grawlixcomix

grawlixcomix 4-Stripe White Belt

We know that code and debugging put off many artists from running their own webcomic. But the allure of independence is strong. Your own domain, your own design, your own … ownership.

We have some experience with the technical side of publishing websites — and through that, coding up webcomics. So here we are, ready to discuss the behind-the-scenes work that runs a webcomic site based on our system, the Grawlix CMS.

Got any questions about HTML, CSS, and the like? Post ’em here.

2. Shanny8

Shanny8 Blue Belt

Thanks. I will be looking for advice & tips from every source I can get..!

3. jtphillipsMNR

jtphillipsMNR White Belt

OMG Pls. Pls with the help.
    On the installation guide in the grawlix folder (readme.html), I followed all the steps so far.
    My problem is executing the .php script called 'firstrun.php'. I am getting an 'Internal Server 500' error. I re-formatted the .htaccess file because the text was all squeezed in and not properly formatted. It looks like this now:
    (I commented out Options -Multiviews and changed the display errors from 0 to 1. Despite these, I am still getting a regular 'Internal Server 500' error.)
    Code:
    # Set these to “1” to display PHP debugging info on most web hosts.
    php_value display_errors 1
    php_value display_startup_errors 1
    #Got a code-500 error? Comment this one out first and try again.
    #Options -Multiviews
    # Still got code-500 trouble? Then try commenting this one out.
    php_flag register_globals off
    # Begin the “traffic cop” code.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine on

# Allow common web files.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.css$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.js$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.php$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.xml$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.html$

# Allow image files.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.jpg$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.jpeg$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.gif$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.png$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.svg$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.ico$

# Allow media files.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.swf$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.mov$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.wmv$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.mp3$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.pdf$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.zip$

# Allow font files.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.eot$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.otf$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.woff$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !^.*\.ttf$

# Every other URL request goes through index.php.

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?$1

</IfModule>

Edit: I have my own domain/webspace, I have used .htaccess files before with no problem, I created a Mysql database, I guess I'm not in the area of the instructions that says to input it yet? I can't find what version of php or Apache I'm running. D;

Tried:
    Commenting out the code listed in the .htaccess file.
    Running script from a different browser.
    changing the URL, I'm using a subdomain.
    changing the permissions of the .htaccess file to 777 (I'mma change it back for now though).

Please and thank you.

jtp/mnr

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

Ha ha, well this got technical fast.

Trinket Trance and jtphillipsMNR like this.
  5. grawlixcomix

@jtphillipsMNR You’re getting a 500 error during firstrun, or after?

6. Spark Comics

Spark Comics White Belt

7. JamieMe

JamieMe Administrator Staff Member

8. grawlixcomix

Thanks for the links, @Spark Comics . “php_value error_reporting E_ALL” is especially useful.

9. jtphillipsMNR

jtphillipsMNR White Belt

Ooh thanks for reply;

When I enter the URL into my browser, the page shows up as 500 error.

10. grawlixcomix

What happens when you rename htaccess back to “htaccess.txt” ?

11. jtphillipsMNR

jtphillipsMNR White Belt

Internal server error 500. =_=
    Should I link you to the exact url I'm trying to get to work?

12. jtphillipsMNR

jtphillipsMNR White Belt

Well I was going to eventually seek help, but then I saw a link to this thread on twitter just as I was about to give up for the night. xD

13. grawlixcomix

Sure thing. But if you’re getting a 500 error without the file named .htaccess, then the server might have bigger issues.

14. grawlixcomix

Quick question to the community: How important is responsive web design (the practice of making sites work across a range of devices) to you?

15. jtphillipsMNR

jtphillipsMNR White Belt

HIii Thanks for the help I figured out the problem...
    For some reason my host generated my subdomain inside of the main root folder instead of where it should be, inside of the subfolder /public_html/...

^^;
    I redid everything in the right folder and the purple installation page is coming up now. I feel silly...

In addition, I was confused about the subsequent steps, but these are my notes for the rest of the installation:

Once you get to the purple installation page that is firstrun.php

First step:
    Open Cpanel->
    Find Mysql databases on control panel.
    Create a username/password (mine was formatted yourwebsite_user08060), then create a database (if you didn't already). Database could be called yourwebsite_grawlixCMS.
    Scroll down to 'add user to database', and add. You've linked the user to database.

Mysql host name is often 'localhost' since your mysql database will be hosted on your server, not a remote server. (didn't know that till I googled it...)
    Therefore, you have host, username, password, and database name. (host name confused me for a lil bit. Not quite sure what to input if your database isn't hosted on your server though.)

Second step:
    Input your personal info as usual, and it should have installed.

As for inputting the given code into config.php, you have to replace the code there with the code that is given by the previous steps on firstrun.php.
    ----
    Edit: My .htaccess file conflict problem... I'll just go to your website forums/support for. ^^;

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  16. DMBrigman

DMBrigman 4-Stripe White Belt

To answer your question, very important to me. I am one of those people who have transitioned to browsing on my mobile phone 90% of the time. I and a lot of other webcomic readers get frustrated with sites that are hard to read, zoom in, or browse on my phone.

One main pet peeve of mine is sites that are at fixed widths and I have to fight with my phone in order to read small dialogue text.

17. grawlixcomix

Sounds like both a comic art and a website design problem. I wonder how difficult drawing two versions of a page would be: one for wide screens and one for narrow?

18. Anna Landin

Anna Landin Purple Belt

It's certainly possible, and a bunch of people do it for mirroring on sites that prioritise vertical scrolling (like LINE Webtoons, for example), but it is often very time-consuming. Doing ONLY a vertical-scroll optimised version (i.e: a narrow-screen one) would cut down on the work prior to posting online - but many of us are hoping to eventually do print-versions, and those require some kind of page-format, rather than vertical.

It's one of those pros-and-cons-to-both kind of issues.

19. DMBrigman

DMBrigman 4-Stripe White Belt

Drawing two versions is a pain. For my own comic the letters are made a bit bigger and I try to avoid really tall panels and layouts that are hard to navigate on mobile. Ideally, having the sidebars disappear, having the comic be full screen width, and navigation buttons finger friendly is important.

20. grawlixcomix

What about drawing individual frames in a single comic page that respond depending on browser window size? Each frame would be its own graphic file, making them easier to rearrange as readers need.