Webcomic tech talk

Discussion in 'Comic Discussion' started by grawlixcomix, May 19, 2017.

1. Terminus

Terminus 4-Stripe White Belt

Individual frames as separate images would be an interesting idea but, if you like to get weird with your panel shapes/sizes or overlap them a lot, then you'll risk a really messy-looking vertical stack for mobile screens. If you tend to use a lot of white space in your pages, then spacing the panels out on a large screen would be difficult. And that's not considering how annoying it would be to draw a page and then try to export anywhere between four and ten panels every time. But then, I draw everything as it will print. The pages read well enough on my phone, so I don't worry too much about mobile as long as my websites work.

2. Shanny8

Shanny8 Blue Belt

While I'd like to be "mobile friendly" my frame of mind is usually towards eventually taking my comic to print. Looking at a few comics on Webtoon made me pump my breaks on going with them for a while, coz I dont like the "vertical scrolling' style of creating comics. I try to make the lettering for my comic easy to read, but as for changing up my format? Pass...

3. Anna Landin

Anna Landin Purple Belt

That might work really well for certain artists, for sure!

Personally, I doubt it would work for the way I draw pages. I tend to use a lot of overlapping panels and do a lot of things with page-composition and panel-arrangements that might be difficult to make individual panels responsibe that way. But like I said, it would definitely a useful tool for people whose panels are arranged for it!

4. DMBrigman

DMBrigman 4-Stripe White Belt

I imagine this would work great for strip comics where the panels are the same size, in fact, I would love that for the ones I read.

For comics with varying panel size the text would then appear at different sizes depending upon the panel size.

5. grawlixcomix

grawlixcomix 4-Stripe White Belt

Diesel Sweeties comes to mind: resize your browser window to see an appropriate format, but all the panels are the same size. Huh. Sounds like a lot of planning’s involved if you want both RWD and a book, eventually. I’ve thought about making text balloons’ text HTML-based, but didn’t figure out an easy way to frame it.

@Anna Landin , just had a look at your site and I agree: that would require either some extra artwork or some custom code per page. Both are possible. The question is, would it be worth doing? How often do readers give up when they can’t read a comic on their smartphone, tablet, phablet, etc — and would that affect print book sales in the long run?

6. MegaRdaniels

MegaRdaniels Blue Belt

Boy making a website by scratch is really complicated. I've done it before and boy it was not easy. Has anyone used notepad to create their websites before?

7. Terminus

Terminus 4-Stripe White Belt

I used Notepad for coding a long time ago, but Notepad++ is a better program for that. Tags are highlighted, you can indent sections just by selecting them and hitting TAB (which makes organizing easier), and you can change the color scheme to something easier on the eyes. And, if you click on one of your tags, it'll show you where the tag closes so you can see what's inside it and avoid weird errors that come from missing a closing /.

8. grawlixcomix

I’m a fan of BBEdit and Coda. Tried Atom for a while, but didn’t see the advantage (other than price). Sublime is also popular.

Thinking about it, I haven’t built anything from scratch outside of teaching HTML/CSS in a long time. The last from-scratch project was our CMS’s Asterisk theme. Otherwise I usually start with either a framework or something I had already built.

9. MegaRdaniels

MegaRdaniels Blue Belt

I'm thinking about building my website from scratch.

10. Inky Malvado

Inky Malvado White Belt

I built a very simple site generator that uses Python.

I think the best approach for a comic site generator is a template engine where you create your site as HTML pages with embedded instructions instead of PHP spaghetti code. Good examples of such template engines are Comic Fury and Smackjeeves.

The comment system was the more difficult part, and it was inspired on the comment systems of those sites. You don't really need captchas or javascript and cookie trickery to keep spambots out. The difference is that after commenting on my sites, the reades are taken back to view their posted comments, not to a "thank you" page.

The best part is I don't need PHP, MySQL and their huge bloat. I run Lighttpd which uses very little memory, instead of Apache. The sites run on unamnaged VPS, it loads faster and it's a lot cheaper than shared hosting.

The only part I haven't gotten around to do is to get rid of Gravatar icons. It's kind of stupid to voluntarily use it.

11. grawlixcomix

That’s almost exactly how our CMS works, except that we support Apache because it’s on the most popular web hosting services (and, frankly, it’s the language we know best).

Is your site generator somewhere online we could take a look, or is it strictly personal?

12. Inky Malvado

Inky Malvado White Belt

Oh, I didn't know that your CMS is template based, I would have mentioned that :). I remember having considered using it at some point, because it looks very nice and polished, but I think I would have to use Disqus for comments and I don't like those third party systems.

Well, I don't know if I'm getting that wrong.

About my scripts, publishing them online would be embarrassing, I'm just an artist. One part is a Python script that generates static pages scheduled by cron jobs. Calling it a CMS would be an extreme exaggeration, I don't even have a post editor.

The other part is the comment system, the only dynamic part. It's a FastCGI script.

[​IMG]

13. mibodega

mibodega White Belt

I like Grawlix it has so much potential but the deal breaker for me is that is not responsive. I tried to make it responsive but failed miserably. I always check back to see whats new with it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  14. grawlixcomix

Oh? Which themes did you try?

15. mibodega

mibodega White Belt

16. grawlixcomix

Other than dropping to one column and switching to a drop-down menu in smaller browser windows, how would you want it to be responsive?

17. mibodega

mibodega White Belt

I don't remember where I left off with this to honest its been a couple of months but I remember the header image kept adding some funky spacing when viewed on phone or tablet

18. grawlixcomix

Hmm, that could be several things. Let me know if you want to get back into it, and we’ll figure out what’s up.

Having said that, all of our themes have an element of RWD — different approaches, sure, but the same goal of adapting to various screen & browser sizes.

19. Rhoadey

Rhoadey White Belt

As someone who literally finished up my site last night, Grawlix's Asterisk theme is reponsive enough for my needs. I can set different settings according to screen size, and the design is simple enough that it's all I need.

20. Rhoadey

Rhoadey White Belt

@Grawlix, my site is Rhoadey.com

I've been playing with using SVG code instead of PNG files for share and follow icons--if I wanted to do the same for the nav links, would I put it in the .PHP snippet.comic-nav file?

Unrelated question--if I wanted to put ads on my site, how would I place them on either side of my comic? Would that affect the mobile experience?