What are your theme suggestions?

Relationships between writers, artists, letterer.

Kickstarter success, do's and don'ts

Managing the day job and the comic creator dream.

How to turn failure into a learning experience.

Portfolio building

Submitting work to comic companies

Networking and relationship building

I could go on and on.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member

Portfolio building

I could go on and on.
DO! They might not happen right away, and you never known. I'll be looking to this section for help getting event themes on what people want!

I'd love to see some reader-centric topics -- as in, how to find readers, engage with readers, get readers excited for your work. How does the writer/artist community get its message out to readers beyond its own group? Are there tools to make this easier? Why/not? Lots of angles to approach the problem that indies have of getting their voice heard over the marketing volume of the larger publishing platforms and houses.

Also, I always enjoy the genre specific stuff -- writing fantasy, sci-fi, horror, drama, super-heroes, etc -- and what makes those genres work. A lot of times, those actually end up being some of the most insightful conversations.

Funari

4-Stripe White Belt
I second the readership topic. The con table topic was really neat for those who haven't done it yet - seeing all the advice from others to have - and readership is a big part of the process after all! I would love to talk about what people have done to get their comics advertised/noticed.

Maybe something on the brainstorming process too? Everyone's got their own ways of getting from idea to published book/page/post so that'd be neat.

Funari

4-Stripe White Belt
If readership is what the people want it is what the people will get :D. Let me have a think! Maybe "Getting Noticed" could be the catchy title? @Donathin Frye @Funari
Maybe "Finding Your (Fan)Base" or something to that extent? Make it sound like experience-sharing rather than the unintentional "desperate for readers" vibe "Getting Noticed" may sound to some? :3

Another thread here made me remember that I think we could always use chats (plural!) about workaholism and how to deal with our own mental and physical health. A lot of artists and writers work every day, without a day off -- when they aren't drawing or writing, they are promoting and engaging with the community (if they aren't lucky enough to have lots of money to throw at advertising). The mind and body suffers, and I think it's good for folks to be able to open up to their own struggles while sharing tips with other creators about how to be healthier.

I don't really believe in the self-sacrificing artist -- you gotta be happy, man. Otherwise, why do this instead of something infinitely easier? :eek:

Anyways, that's a bit of a ramble. I think there's a lot in these issues worth talking about!

Zoe

4-Stripe White Belt

Portfolio building

I could go on and on.
I'd love to seem more of this - networking, pitching, the technical skills/knowledge one needs to have to bring their project to life!
Also - WRITING. I'd like to see/learn how other creators structure their work, because it seems I struggle more than the necessary amount.

I'd love to see some reader-centric topics -- as in, how to find readers, engage with readers, get readers excited for your work. How does the writer/artist community get its message out to readers beyond its own group? Are there tools to make this easier? Why/not? Lots of angles to approach the problem that indies have of getting their voice heard over the marketing volume of the larger publishing platforms and houses.
I third this. Without an audience, we, as artists, are nought. A lot of indie comic sites seem to focus mainly on the creator side of things and it feels very insular from there. The thing is, we can discus technique, promotion, between us until the cows come home, but where do the readers get an invitation to join in? I'd say almost a year back on the indie comic scene I've only found CBH that invites readers to join in.

WRITING. I'd like to see/learn how other creators structure their work, because it seems I struggle more than the necessary amount.
I found it tough writing and working from a script. Then I read that some artists do the art work first and build a story around that. So I tried it and the process was much better for me. So now I go in to a comic with a general idea of how things will go, build up the art and then add the dialogue. If there's anything poignant I want to write in it, I'll jot that down, but otherwise I do the 'script' at the end. I've found it a lot more exciting for me also as I find scripts can be really restricting and they can stunt my creativity. Hope this helps :D