What's your workspace look like?

I know a lot of artists have awesome home offices and workspaces. Mine's fairly simple, as a writer. I've got a pretty good DIY audio recording setup, an organized desk, and some basic nerdery that I love to look at. When it's clean, it looks like the pictures below. When I'm reading and researching, or working on page layouts and outlines, you can assume there's a few more notepads and books sitting out there. I'm a city guy, and there's a pretty nice view from my apartment, and that definitely helps me sort of feel connected to people and the world when I'm sitting at my desk and cranking away at work.

What about you folks? How do you use your space get yourself into the necessary creative headspace?

home_office2.jpg

home_office.jpg

DataBunny

4-Stripe White Belt
Mine is in the process of being tidied up right now but thats my set up. I dont know how i used to cope drawing on a tiny laptop!
1488906699457832800045.jpg

Having a dual screen set up is a godsend for references. I live in a pretty small town though so i normally head out to the near city or park with a sketchbook to do some people watching. The view from my home is very quiet and great for not getting distracted though! Its also nice we have a lot of wildlife here, which i take a lot of inspiration for fae designs in crossway from.

Oooh, I love seeing other people's workspaces!

Here's my deep, dark comics-cave:

Main desk, with cintiq, desktop and thumbnailing station (and tea). Yes, the desk is gigantic.

Closeup on the thumbnailing/scripting side of the desk.

aaaand a blurry shot of my lighttable. The main desk can be very vaguely glimpsed over in the far left of this shot; this is where I do all the traditional painting and stuff, which sadly doesn't happen as often these days; digital comics have devoured all my spare time.

Not pictured: my ridiculous amount of books.

Mine is a pen and notebook on the top of my bed. The laptop stays under my bed until it's time to type my script up in MS word and finalize the edits.

I know a lot of artists have awesome home offices and workspaces. Mine's fairly simple, as a writer. I've got a pretty good DIY audio recording setup, an organized desk, and some basic nerdery that I love to look at. When it's clean, it looks like the pictures below. When I'm reading and researching, or working on page layouts and outlines, you can assume there's a few more notepads and books sitting out there. I'm a city guy, and there's a pretty nice view from my apartment, and that definitely helps me sort of feel connected to people and the world when I'm sitting at my desk and cranking away at work.

What about you folks? How do you use your space get yourself into the necessary creative headspace?

View attachment 91
View attachment 92
That street view at night must be inspiring. Has it shown up in your comics?

That street view at night must be inspiring. Has it shown up in your comics?
Nah. I haven't written anything taking place in my city, yet! But it does make me feel like I'm connected to a whole lot of other people who are out there, living their lives, struggling, having fun, making mistakes, creating things of beauty. It's a big part of why I like city life so much.

Shaneoid

Purple Belt
I'm from a crumby council flat and have a second hand bedside table where I plop my laptop and generally that's it. :confused:

I guess it's what's behind my computer that's most interesting :cool:

Last edited:

ServerPanda

4-Stripe White Belt
This is mine. :) I do everything by hand including lettering, so I don't even have a computer close by for any of the process. The only time a computer comes into play is to get it online, and I can use anything for that as long as it has a scanner.

The file cabinet is where all my hard copies of pages are stored. I store all my extra supplies in the drawers under my desk.

Tait

4-Stripe White Belt
Oh yeah! I love seeing how people set up their workspaces!

This is mine right now:
20170111_150904.jpg
Well, actually, that was when I first got it set up and it was clean. I've got a bit more stuff on the desk now. :)
The right hand monitor is a drawing tablet and I'm loving having two screens. This is definitely the best setup I've had hardware wise. In terms of location and desk though I miss some of my older workspaces. At the moment I don't have a place dedicated to traditional work, which I miss. :(

I used to have some photos of my other workspaces, but I seem to have lost them. :eek:

I do most of my art in my living room, and this big round table is my usual office space. I've got my set up with my computer, tablet, iPad tablet and pencil pouch and just fling it all into my backpack (well, not the coffee. everything else) when I go out. I do lots and lots of art at my office, at college, and at Starbucks, and I have this exact setup both these places, too. My art making is… very migratory, haha!!

Riana

White Belt
I love love love threads like these. So much so that I joined the forums just because of it. :D Hello!

Here's my side of the office where I draw comics and all that fun stuff (pardon the panorama weirdness). Dual monitor set up with a Widescreen Intuos 3 that lives to the right of my keyboard!

And when I remember that I actually have a backyard (I lived in an apartment with no balcony/yard or anything for 3.5 years) I try to work out there when I can on my Surface Pro 3. I'm not used to drawing on tablet monitors so it's a little tricky for me at the moment!

Like wishjacked, I also migrate a bit, but here's where most of the tech setup is, in a corner of a room. I took this picture a couple months ago, at the end of 2016. I move the laptop to draw (or draw elsewhere), down to the printer to scan, then back up with the laptop to letter and colour. Yes, there is an anime I'm particularly keen on, though there's some method to my madness - the Nanoha on the left is what I aim for, more than the Nanoha on the right with the painful pose. (And yeah, not tidied up. Much.)

NTWeek25.JPG

This is my small and humble workspace. It's small and totally gets dusty. LOL. I'm not really a rich person so I can't afford those state of the art stuffs that some of you guys have. But you know, I always believe that you can create awesome work regardless of what you use if you know the principles.

WP_20160506_002.jpg

Yes! I love these posts!
And yeah, I totally tied up a bit first. I haven't cleaned my workspace since last year... haha...hah... haah....
Behold! My treasure under the table!
P3090114.JPG
And yes, I totally used Batman: Knightfall and Dexter omnibus to prop up my cintiq.
I really wish I had a bigger table, but I'm kinda choked for space, soo...
Also my dog was posing on the bed to the left of my desk, so I took a picture of him too. This is Odin, or as I like to call him "Little shit" ^^
P3090113.JPG

Here is my side of a shared office. Usually it has dishes and random papers, but I cleaned it last weekend, ha! I like my side the best because I removed the closet doors and stuffed an old futon behind my chair to use whenever I need to be horizontal for a while.

if you can't beat them join them...
ive had to unfortunately divide my working area into two rooms as all my books were getting damaged by damp in the living room:( some of them are over 30 years old and now smell horrid :mad: (sorry for the rant)
IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0642.JPG
this is my main work area, as you can see i have a posting schedule right in front of me , a notice board where i scribble any new ideas for story lines.
IMG_0643.JPG
this is another room where i now keep all my paper and books, bit of a pain not having it all in the same room but ho hum.