#ComicBookHour Q&A Episode 5 "READER INTERVIEW" (2018)

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member

Q1: I used to read Sonic comics as a kid, trace him onto my books in school, and it's funny now my 4 year old nephew loves the blue guy too! What are your earliest comic reading memories?

Q2: I got crazy addicted to a manga called All Rounder Meguru. It's about Mixed Martial Arts with a deep story. Which comics have you found that you felt were just perfect for you as a person, and why?

Q3: This makes me sad, but a friend recently told me that the comics scene on Twitter seems quite hostile. What do you think, and what can we do, regardless, to make comics Twitter more welcoming?

Q4: Let's roll on with a fun one. I like a good laugh, and even do a comedy webcomic myself, so... What are some comics you would recommend that are a good laugh?

Q5: We are creating a Patreon page in the future to pay for our hosting costs, & to expand. What are some tips, as readers or creators, to us and others that are thinking about starting on the site?

Get your CBH rank up by answering questions from previous weeks:

EPISODE #4 LINK
EPISODE #3 LINK
EPISODE #2 LINK
EPISODE #1 LINK

AnitaComics

4-Stripe White Belt
Q1: I used to read Sonic comics as a kid, trace him onto my books in school, and it's funny now my 4 year old nephew loves the blue guy too! What are your earliest comic reading memories?

I've learned how to read on a comic! It was a big edition (it was as tall as my torso at the time) of an italian classic strip, Lupo Alberto.

Q2: I got crazy addicted to a manga called All Rounder Meguru. It's about Mixed Martial Arts with a deep story. Which comics have you found that you felt were just perfect for you as a person, and why?

Do you want the complete list, or just a few?
In my teens I felt like Angel Sanctuary was just the perfect manga. It was all about depressed people with twisted love stories, and most of them were angels or demons. Yeah, I was a dramatic goth girl.
As a young adult, the silliness of Deadpool completed me - my favourite being "The Kings of suicide"
As an adultier adult, I'm still looking for it.

Q3: This makes me sad, but a friend recently told me that the comics scene on Twitter seems quite hostile. What do you think, and what can we do, regardless, to make comics Twitter more welcoming?

Wow, I don't know what to say because I actually feel the opposite. There's plenty of welcoming realities there, and a lot of supportive people. I guess it depends on who you add to the timeline, and how often you get involved into controversial topics (that are everywhere on twitter)

Q4: Let's roll on with a fun one. I like a good laugh, and even do a comedy webcomic myself, so... What are some comics you would recommend that are a good laugh?

It's been a while since I've read something funny that wasn't totally underground, so I have to skip this because you couldn't find them anywhere

Q5: We are creating a Patreon page in the future to pay for our hosting costs, & to expand. What are some tips, as readers or creators, to us and others that are thinking about starting on the site?

I think you're doing just fine! I'm curious about how CBH will grow, and trust your decisions about it. Good luck!

Tait

4-Stripe White Belt

DC used to have a comic called Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew!. This is one of the first comics I ever remember owning. My parents bought me a couple issues when I was about four and I carried them around EVERYWHERE.

There also used to be a thing where you could collect Kool-Aid points from the back of packets and send them away to get things. One of them was a Kool-Aid Man comic book and I also had that and carried it around too.

Q2:I got crazy addicted to a manga called All Rounder Meguru. It's about Mixed Martial Arts with a deep story. Which comics have you found that you felt were just perfect for you as a person, and why?

Perfect for me as a person? I’m going to give this to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics. Specifically the original Eastman and Laird comics, although some of the others were good as well. I think those comics captured a lot of things that really fit my personal taste. It was a mix of animals, monsters, grit, and humor that worked well for me.

Q3:This makes me sad, but a friend recently told me that the comics scene on Twitter seems quite hostile. What do you think, and what can we do, regardless, to make comics Twitter more welcoming?

Hostile? I’d want more elaboration on that because it certainly hasn’t been my experience. Creators and most readers on Twitter have been really friendly when I’m looking around on there. It’s hard to say what we can do when I’m not sure specifically what the problem is, but I would tell people to try to be open minded and don’t engage those who are clearly just looking to be toxic.

Wonderlust by Diana Nock.
The Abominable Charles Christopher by Karl Kerschl.

That’s about all I can come up with offhand. Honestly, I haven’t been spending a lot of time reading lately.

I don’t know. I could use some tips myself.

I do have a counter question to this though, do your expansion plans include (or is there already) a Discord server for ComicBookHour? If not, do you think that would overlap with the site too much? I think it might be good for stimulating more real time conversations between creators and/or readers. I've seen other creators setting up communities on Discord for their readers/listeners and I've been on there a lot lately to see what's happening with people.

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a counter question to this though, do your expansion plans include (or is there already) a Discord server for ComicBookHour? If not, do you think that would overlap with the site too much? I think it might be good for stimulating more real time conversations between creators and/or readers. I've seen other creators setting up communities on Discord for their readers/listeners and I've been on there a lot lately to see what's happening with people.
Hey dude,

Discord is going to happen for sure. It will interact with the site, so no worries. The Discord server will be the "chat room" of the boards.