#ComicBookHour Q&A Episode 6 "NSFW COMICS" (2018)

JamieMe

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the questions for week 6 of #ComicBookHour's NEW 52!

Q1: Do you read NSFW comics, and if so what appeals to you about them?

Q2: What are some of the difficulties creators face when they include NSFW content in their comics?

Q3: What are your own thoughts on censorship in comics?

Q4: What are some of the positives and negatives of including nudity in comics?

Q5: What are some of your favourite NSFW comic books, and what makes them good?

Get your CBH rank up by answering questions from previous weeks:

EPISODE #5 LINK
EPISODE #4 LINK
EPISODE #3 LINK
EPISODE #2 LINK
EPISODE #1 LINK

AnitaComics

4-Stripe White Belt
Q1: Do you read NSFW comics, and if so what appeals to you about them?

I read comic that contain NSFW stuff, but it's not their main premises. I like when they add some extra spicy to another story, but I'm not interested in stuff focused on violence or nudity

Q2: What are some of the difficulties creators face when they include NSFW content in their comics?

It's somehow harder to market it, and somehow easier. Sex sells good, expecially on the internet where people are still kinda anonymous and there's a lot of activism about sexuality. It might be harder to sell through shops or conventions, as people are more shy when they meet you in person. Sometimes, if you're notorious for NSFW stuff and want to jump into another genre, you have to use a pseudonym to not ruin your SFW career, and this sucks.

Q3: What are your own thoughts on censorship in comics?

No need for it. Just make it clear who's the intended audience for the comic, and stay inside the lines if you're creating for the younger readers. There's plenty of space to satisfy adults, and kids stories should be kids stories

Q4: What are some of the positives and negatives of including nudity in comics?

The negatives are all around people's embarassment in seeing someone naked: it can ruin your book's reputation (and yours), if you put it in "wrongly". I'm convinced the creator just has to be honest with him/herself, and confident in what they're doing. Do you know about Frank Cho? I've heard him being asked a lot of questions about the sexism in his pinups and comics, and he just replied with "Well, I like to draw like this. I'm not hurting anyone. Don't want to see boobs? Don't buy my stuff."

Q5: What are some of your favourite NSFW comic books, and what makes them good?

Nothing to declare here, officer